iClicker Cloud Instructor Guide
What is iClicker?
iClicker incorperates technology into a learning environment. Each student has an iClicker and uses it to respond to questions during class time. Results are captured and displayed immediately. By answering questions and seeing the results right away, students will know how they are doing and where they are with their peers. Using iClickers also allows shy students to participate when normally they will not raise their hands. iClicker can be used either anonymously or for marking.
If any of the conditions below are true in your class, then you may want to consider using clickers for your course:
- Students are falling asleep during your lecture.
- You see students staring at you with blank eyes.
- You have larger class size which makes it harder for you to engage students.
- You know that students are listening and want to contribute, but are shy to participate.
Before you consider using clickers, ask yourself the following questions:
- What is the learning objective of your course or particular week/chapter/topic in your course?
- What ways or methods can you use to achieve that learning objective? Will technology help? If yes, what and how?
- Will clicker help your students learn better?
- And finally, will you be able to set aside additional time to be familiar with the technology?
Answering those questions will help you to avoid a common pitfall of selecting the technology first, just for the sake of the technology, and then try to fit it into your course.
There are two main challenges:
- Learning curve – As with adopting any technology in your course for the first time, you may spend considerable amount of time in learning and familiarizing with the technology. Proper training and asking questions to the DMP, opens in new window will help you ease the process, but ultimately, the majority of the effort will be from the instructor her/himself. Therefore, you need to acknowledge the amount of work you need to invest at this stage.
- Class preparation – In order to use clickers effectively, you need to prepare the questions to be asked in class. The questions you prepare will correspond to the purpose of why you use clickers, such as to take attendance, to find out whether students understand a particular concept you have just explained, to do a small quiz, etc.
Clickers enable instructors to find out whether students understand a particular concept at a certain moment during lecture. Instructors can ask students a multiple-choice question, and have students respond. The answers can be obtained immediately and be used as a guide for whether to move forward with the lecture, or to spend more time on the topic.
- Promote student’s active and reflective learning: iClickers may be handy in acquiring students’ opinion, especially those related to sensitive, personal information. It works well when the clickers are used in anonymous mode. This activity engages students to participate actively and to reflect upon their opinions in comparison to others.
- Improve student engagement by being active and collaborative: Clickers can be used for peer training, a method that allows students to discuss and collaborate in resolving problems, answering questions, or explaining to each other. This method promotes active and collaborative learning. Instructors prompt questions and students discuss small groups about the problem.
- Taking attendance: Instructors can use iClickers to take class attendance. It can increase students’ motivation to attend, and reduces paperwork and class administration time.
Sign up to iClicker Cloud, external link, opens in new window to begin using the software.
Download the iClicker Cloud software, external link, opens in new window from the website onto your own laptop or desktop. Launch the iClicker Cloud software and login using your personal account credentials previously set up.
To access your iClicker Cloud account online, you can login by going to iclicker.com, external link, opens in new window.
Using iClicker Cloud
Before running sessions in class, review your iClicker Cloud settings to ensure they meet the specific needs of your course. This ranges from:
- inputting information that will help your students add your course in the iClicker Student app.
- deciding if/how you will be using an LMS with iClicker Cloud.
Settings are customized on a course-by-course basis, so if you are running multiple courses in iClicker Cloud, modify the settings for each individual course.
Unlike the polling and quizzing modules, iClicker Cloud’s Attendance module is run entirely from the iClicker Cloud Instructor website and can be set up to automatically run during each class period.
iClicker Cloud’s Attendance module allows you to take attendance using optional geolocation technology that recognizes if students are within range of your classroom when they check-in. However, in a remote teaching setting, this is function is not advised.
Before running an attendance session, ensure you have customized your attendance settings–including the optional geolocation information. For more information about the attendance module, click below:
- Attendance Settings, external link, opens in new window
- Run an Attendance Session in iClicker Cloud, external link, opens in new window
- View and Manage Attendance Data, external link, opens in new window
- How does iClicker Cloud’s Attendance geolocation functionality maintain students’ privacy?, external link, opens in new window
Unlike the Attendance module, Polling and Quizzing sessions can only be run from the iClicker Cloud desktop software. In general, running iClicker Cloud sessions is very similar to running iClicker Classic sessions–you can run a session over any presentation software, grade on the fly, ask anonymous questions, and more.
However, there are a few differences regarding question types, polling toolbars, and grading. One notable enhancement is that iClicker Cloud can send students screen shots and results from the questions asked during class to use as a study guide.
Click below for step-by-step guides and more helpful information about running sessions in iClicker Cloud:
iClicker Cloud grade information can be accessed from either the iClicker Cloud Desktop Software or the online gradebook, , external link via the iClicker Cloud instructor website. Before working with your gradebook, ensure that you have decided how you will be adding grades from iClicker Cloud to your LMS, external link–if you are syncing grades with your LMS it will require prior setup by your campus administrator.
- Options available in both the iClicker Cloud Desktop software and the iClicker Cloud Online Gradebook:
- View a summary of all session data.
- Export data for individual sessions and/or all sessions.
- Delete a session.
- View your roster and delete students if needed.
- Options available in only in the iClicker Cloud Desktop Software:
- Grade polling and/or quizzing sessions.
- Customize the scoring settings for all sessions or individual sessions.
- Options available in only in the iClicker Cloud Online gradebook:
- View granular grading data by session and by student.
- Export your roster.
- Manually update session points for individual students.
- Sync grades to your LMS (if applicable for your campus/course).
iClicker Student app
When teaching in a remote setting, all students must create an iClicker Student account to ensure their grades sync to your iClicker gradebook.
- They can do this by downloading the mobile app via the App Store or Google Play, or by visiting the iClicker Student web application, external link, opens in new window.
- Then, students need to add your course in the iClicker Student app,, external link, opens in new window or register their iClicker Student accounts within D2L; inform students which scenario is relevant to your course. Please note that student registration within your LMS requires prior set up by your campus administrator.
Upon creating an iClicker Student account, students will receive a 2 week free-trial period. After that point, they will need to purchase an iClicker Student subscription or obtain an iClicker Student access code if they plan to continue participating in your iClicker sessions with their mobile devices, tablets, or laptops. Students should be warned that they will only receive credit for ONE account and they will not receive points if they create additional iClicker Student accounts.
Buying and Extending Subscriptions
- Option 1: Ryerson Bookstore
- Your students can purchase an iClicker Student access code from the Ryerson bookstore.
- They can enter in the access code into the 'Subscriptions' section of their iClicker Student account on the website.
- Option 2: Macmillan Canadian Student Store
- Your students can purchase an access code at the Macmillan Canadian Student Store, external link.
- They can Enter in the access code into the 'Subscriptions' section of their iClicker Student account on the website.
- Option 3: Extend your subscription through the iClicker Student Website
- Students should select 'Subscriptions' from the iClicker Student menu on the website. Their remaining subscription is visible here.
- They will click 'Purchase Subscription.' They can extend a subscription by purchasing a subscription here.
- Note: Paying through the iClicker Student website will result in charges in US Dollars.