You are now in the main content area
Participate in online discussions
Engage in an online discussion around course topics!
The Discussions tool is a collaboration area with a variety of uses in a course:
- initiate and contribute to discussions on course-related topics
- ask questions of your instructor and peers
- collaborate on assignments and homework in a safe environment, where appropriate
|Forum||Organize discussions into broader groups. Most courses only need one main forum. In order to have any discussions happen, a forum must be created by the Instructor (or someone like a TA).|
|Topic||Group discussions into sub-groups under a forum. For example, if the students are expected to post on a weekly discussion concept, a 'Week 1' "topic" would be appropriate here. In order to have any discussions happen, a topic must be created by the Instructor (or someone like a TA).|
|Discussion thread||This is the real meat of the Discussions tool. The actual discussions that are comprised of the initial post and all replies to that post.|
Find Discussions in the top menu, under Communication.
- Click Communication > Discussions from the navbar.
- Click on the name of the topic that will house your thread.
- If you want to create a new thread, click Start a New Thread. If you would like to post a reply to an existing thread, click the name of the thread that has already been started.
- Write your message (don’t forget to add a subject if it’s a new thread) and click Post for your thread to go live.