You are now in the main content area

International Students and Ryerson Students Travelling Abroad

Updated September 18, 2020

Notice for all upcoming travel:

The safety of Ryerson community members is of utmost importance. Ryerson has suspended all future university-sanctioned international travel and in-person activity abroad for students and staff until April 30th, 2021. Ryerson urges faculty members to carefully consider any upcoming travel plans. When possible, consider cancelling your plans entirely, or postponing to a later date and delaying financial commitments. 

For more information for students, visit our Safety Abroad page.

For more information for faculty and staff, visit our International Risk Management page.

International Students

  • We urge you to make decisions based on your mental health and well-being. If you would like to return home before the end of the semester, Ryerson will do whatever it can to support the completion of your courses.
  • Once you have received information about course delivery methods for each class, please also consider the following:
    • Many of Ryerson's online resources require secure connections and your options for establishing a secure connection vary with the online resource you are using; please visit the Computing and Communications Services (CCS) website for your connection options, including resources for accessing Ryerson systems from abroad.
  • If returning to your home country, continue to monitor any entry restrictions or mandated self-qurantinees that may be required upon arrival.
  • Monitor internal movement restrictions within your home country to ensure that you are able to travel from the airport to your place of residence.
  • If you are unable to leave Canada at this time due to travel restrictions, please know that you are able to apply for an extension of your temporary residence documents.
  • If your legal status in Canada has expired, you may be able to restore your status or apply for a temporary resident permit. 
  • As travel restrictions become more prevalent and airlines decrease the number of flights available, you may wish to return home while you have the opportunity to do so. The Government of Canada has indicated that international students who held a valid study permit or had been approved for a study permit when the travel restrictions took effect on March 18, 2020, will be able to travel to Canada by air or land. They will be exempt from air travel and border restrictions. For more information, please consult the Implications of Travel Restrictions on IRCC Clients website, external link.
  • If you do return to your home country and your study permit and/or temporary resident visa (TRV) will expire in the upcoming months, you can apply for these documents from your home country prior to resuming your studies in Canada.
  • Please see the Government of Canada FAQs, external link for more detailed information regarding measures put in place by Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to help temporary residents currently navigating the immigration process.
  • International Student Support is available to support you with any questions related to navigating the Canadian immigration process. Reach out to them at
  • As more information becomes available, we will update this section.

Ryerson Students Travelling Abroad

  • Ryerson has suspended all future university-sanctioned international travel and in-person activity abroad for students and staff until April 30th, 2021. The suspension includes all international activities, including experiential learning. However, remote international experiential learning opportunities can occur if the students are already at the location (i.e., do not need to travel to the destination), and there is written assurance that they will not participate in-person.
  • The international travel suspension does not apply to full-degree seeking international students who may be travelling to Canada for their studies, however the Government of Canada travel restrictions, external link remain in place. Students seeking to travel to Canada at this time should review the COVID-19 information and updates page for international students, or connect directly with International Student Support.
  • For more information regarding the Canadian Government’s travel advisory to avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice, see Canada’s Official Global Travel Advisory, external link, opens in new window.
  • Letters of Permission (LOP) for courses to be taken outside of Canada are no longer being processed. Refunds are being provided to students for whom LOP’s were being processed or were completed for Spring/Summer 2020.