Minimum Technology Requirements for Remote Learning
The following are the minimum technical requirements for students to access Ryerson University’s online learning resources.
Individual programs or courses may have additional requirements. Please refer to your faculty, program, or course requirements for additional guidance.
A Windows 10 or MacOS X computer with a minimum of:
- Intel Core i5 processor or equivalent
- 8 GB RAM
- 20 GB of available storage space after all applications are installed
- Webcam (built in or external)
- Ability to connect external devices as needed including where necessary: webcam, headset, and external storage devices
- Webcam - if one is not already integrated into your computer
- Headset with microphone for improved audio quality and to reduce echo while speaking during webinars - if the computer has a good microphone earbuds may be used instead.
- A minimum download speed of 5Mbps.
- Google Chrome browser.
- Where possible a wired connection to a router is preferred over connecting to a router via wireless access. If wireless must be used, work as close as possible to the wireless router to maintain excellent signal strength.
Unlimited storage in Google Drive is available to all Ryerson students along with Google docs, spreadsheets, calendar, and slides. More information about these services is available on the G Suite at Ryerson University website.
Microsoft Office is also available free from Microsoft to all Ryerson students. For more information please visit the Microsoft software page on the CCS website.