Frank A. Clayton, PH.D.
Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Urban Research and Land Development, Ryerson University
Frank Clayton is an urban and real estate economist who has been providing consulting services to a range of private and public sector clients for more than 45 years.
Dr. Clayton was President of Clayton Research Associates Ltd., consulting economists specializing in real estate and urban economics, for 35 years. He was appointed Executive Vice President of Altus Group where he remained for three years when Clayton Research was acquired in 2007. He was also Economic Advisor to the Greater Toronto Area’s Building Industry and Land Development Association (BILD) until October, 2011. He continues to provide consulting services as a self-employed economist.
- BA in economics from the University of Wisconsin
- MA and PhD in economics from Queen’s University
- Programs in urban economics and urban planning at MIT in Boston
- Employment with Statistics Canada and Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (Winnipeg and Ottawa) and private sector planning and real estate consulting firms
- Founded Clayton Research in 1972 (acquired by Altus Group in 2007)
- Has consulted throughout Canada on hundreds of assignments including:
- Economic and demographic growth and change at the urban market level
- Real estate market and site studies for conventional and lifestyle housing, retail, office, industrial and mixed use land uses
- Mortgage and real estate financing studies
- Strategic advice regarding development charges (DCs) in Ontario
- Retail impact analyses and peer reviews
- Highest and best use analyses
- Municipal finance, economic and property value impact analyses
- Land use demand and need projections
- Expert witness testimony - Ontario Municipal Board, Alberta’s Local Authorities Board, arbitration boards, and court.
- Member or former member of various professional and industry associations, including the American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, Urban Land Institute, International Council of Shopping Centers, Ontario Expropriation Association, and the National Association of Industrial and Office Parks.
- Recipient of the Canadian Home Builders’ Association’s (CHBA) Maple Leaf Award, for outstanding contribution to the housing industry.
- Member of CHBA’s Economic Research Committee for more than 30 years.
- Past President of the Simcoe/Toronto Chapter Lambda Alpha International, Honourary Land Economies Society.
- Treasurer and special advisor for business strategy of the Land Economics Foundation.
- Past President of the Ontario Expropriation Association.
- Building Industry and Land Development Association (Greater Toronto Area), Hall of Fame Recipient.
- Recipient of the President’s Award of Recognition, Toronto (Simcoe) Chapter of Lambda Alpha International, for his contribution to land economics.
- Co-editor of a special issue of the Journal of Sustainable Real Estate focused on “Property Values and Environmental Factors”.