You are now in the main content area

Tax Receipts (T2202 & T4A)

Effective 2020, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has instructed educational institutions to report total tuition paid on T2202 forms, external link, opens in new window, rather than total tuition fees assessed. As a result, students who have paid partial tuition will have that partial amount reflected on their tax form.  

The T2202 will be populated using tuition payments received and posted to RAMSS as of February 1. Note that the T2202 form will be updated on the 1st and the 15th of each month (or the first business day following those dates) and re-uploaded to RAMSS. If you make a tuition payment for a tuition fee due in 2020, once your tuition payment is received, your T2202 form will be updated to reflect the change.  

For example: if you made a payment on the 5th of the month (a Tuesday), you will have access to an updated T2202 tax form by the end of the business day on the 15th (a Friday). The form will be available in your Student Centre within RAMSS and you may access it at any time. 

Please keep in mind that payments are not instantly received, it can take 3-5 business days for payments to appear on your student account.

Tax receipts are available for download from your RAMSS account usually during the third week in February each year for the previous calendar year (January – December).  There are two types of tax receipts available to students, the T2202 Tuition, Education & Textbook Amounts Certificate and the T4A Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income.

A T2202 is an official statement for income tax purposes of the tuition and fees paid for qualifying courses that are eligible for claim on the income tax return.

A T4A is an official statement for income tax purposes of scholarships, bursaries, awards or other income as defined by CRA that were provided by Ryerson to a student.   

For further information, please refer to the Canada Revenue Agency, external link, opens in new window

Tax Receipt FAQs

General Tax Receipt FAQs

You can print your T2202 and/or T4A from RAMSS, opens in new window. T2202 receipts are prepared for all students who have paid more than $100 in eligible fees for courses beginning and ending in a particular calendar year. Certain administrative and ancillary fees are not eligible for tax deduction. T4A receipts are prepared for all students who received a scholarship, bursary or award in a calendar year.

The T2202 and/or T4A are not mailed to you. These are available online through your RAMSS, opens in new window account. Students do have the option of receiving a paper copy of their T4A ONLY by opting out through your RAMSS account by January 31. A paper copy will be mailed to your current address in your RAMSS account for the current and subsequent tax years. You can withdraw your election at any time in you choose to change this in the future.

RAMSS, opens in new window is Ryerson's Administrative Management Self Service system and is your personalized access to web services. When you log in you will find information and services specific to your role at Ryerson.

Students can access their RAMSS, opens in new window account from any computer in the Ryerson Library or a computer lab that has a web browser. If you would like to request a paper copy, you can make this request at the ServiceHub by providing appropriate photo identification.

Students are not required to submit a printed copy of the T2202 and/or T4A receipt(s) with their tax return, even if the T2202 credits are transferred to a parent. A printed copy is only required when requested by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as part of a formal audit.

You can use your tax receipt(s) even if the address is incorrect. Remember that it is not necessary for students to submit the T2202 form with the tax return, but they must produce it if requested by Revenue Canada. We strongly suggest that you keep your address updated on RAMSS, opens in new window.

If you feel that the information on your tax receipts is incorrect, please review all of these FAQ's to ensure that you understand the period they are issued for and the amounts that are included and excluded. If after reviewing this information you feel that your receipt(s) are incorrect, please contact the ServiceHub.

Unfortunately we cannot. In-depth questions regarding the use of the tax receipts in the tax preparation process should be directed to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), external link, opens in new window. Tax guides are available from any CRA office or Canada Post Office. CRA also publishes a booklet called "Students & Income Tax" - Government form P105 (E), external link, opens in new window.

Yes, you can print your tax receipts as many times as you like. Keep in mind that the T2202 does not get submitted with a student's tax return but is required when transferring amounts to someone else as permitted by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), external link, opens in new window or if you are being audited.

No, not even your parents can obtain confidential information without your written consent. Ryerson gathers and maintains information used for purposes of admission, registration and other fundamental activities related to being a member of the university community and to attending a public post-secondary institution in Ontario. The policy regarding the release of information about students is intended to protect the individual student's right to privacy and the confidentiality of his or her record. Personal Information Protection Guidelines and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) govern access to confidential information at Ryerson.

Ryerson does not have a EIN or a TIN number. Ryerson's federal school code is G10720 and the university's OPE ID is 8860000.

Effective January 2019, all post-secondary institutions in Canada are required to collect students' Social Insurance Numbers (SIN), and include this information on tuition tax receipts (T2202). For more information please refer to the CRA website, external link, opens in new window.

You can securely report your Social Insurance Number (SIN) online via RAMSS. You only need to provide your SIN once. Your SIN will only be used for tax purposes.

If you have not provided your SIN as part of your student record, you must submit your SIN by following the steps below:

  1. Log in to RAMSS (, opens in new window
  2. Within your Student Center, locate the Academics Heading. Select the "Your SIN is required" link
  3. In the SIN box, enter your nine-digit SIN
  4. Click the "SAVE" button. Once you click this button, a confirmation will appear saying your SIN has been updated

T2202 Tax Receipt FAQs

  • Certificate and Degree/Diploma credit course: Students will receive a T2202 and may claim the eligible tuition fees amount and the number of months.
  • Degree/Diploma credit course: Students will receive a T2202 and may claim the eligible tuition fees amount and the number of months.
  • Certificate Credit course: Students will receive a T2202 and may claim the eligible tuition fees but the number of months are not eligible for claim as it is not a credit course that can be applied towards a post secondary degree or diploma.
  • Course series course: These courses are not eligible for a T2202.
    • Examples are: general interest courses, workshops, seminars.
  • Intensive courses: Permitting these courses are certificate and/or degree credit courses and are at least 39 hours in duration, the tuition is tax eligible, however the enrolment status will be left blank as the course is less than three weeks in duration. 

The total amount of tuition fees paid may not necessarily correspond to your T2202 because not all tuition and related fees are tax deductible.

Fees that are not eligible include: RSU, CESAR, Parking, Residence and Meal Plans, RSU Health & Dental, program and select ancillary fees, material fees, CO-OP, goods of lasting value that you keep (such as a computer, uniform or tools) and certain other administrative fees.

The total amount of tuition fees paid may not necessarily correspond to your T2202 because not all tuition and related fees are tax deductible.

Ryerson is required to make the T2202 available to the student directly. Students must use the T2202 on their own return until the Federal Tax payable is reduced to zero. At this point the student may transfer the balance of the credit to their parent using the information on the T2202 related to the transferring of the unused credit as per the Income Tax Act.

In addition to claiming eligible tuition and related fees, students are eligible to claim amounts based on the number of months respective to their status as part-time or full-time. The university must first and foremost recognize the student's academic career as part-time or full-time before they are assessed appropriately.

  • Full time students enrolled in ten or more course hours per work for three consecutive weeks in a month
  • Part time students enrolled in less than ten hours per week for three consecutive weeks in a month

As per the Income Tax Act, students may not combine receipts from institutions to meet the minimum eligible fee.

Parents may choose to claim Sports/Summer camps as day care, and should use the receipt(s) provided at the time of registration for their child (children). Summer camps do not qualify as tuition and a T2202 receipt will not be produced for them.

T4A Tax Receipt FAQs

The tuition waiver/rebate program is offered to employees of Ryerson, however the T4A is issued in the name of the student.

No. Money received through OSAP and the National Student Loan Service Centre will not appear on a student’s T4A. Only funding which has been provided by Ryerson to the student will be included.

If you received OSAP, you can access your OSAP tax receipts by logging into your National Student Loan Service Centre, external link, opens in new window account.

The T4A is based on the tax year (January to December) and not the school year.

No. Your T4 Statement of Remuneration Paid is a record of your employment income and the amount of tax which was deducted. Employees who consented to receive this electronically will be able to download a copy of their T4A receipt from eHR during the third week of February. If consent was not provided, these are mailed to the address listed in their eHR account. More information can be found on the Human Resources website.