Skip to main content

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Can I take a Minor?

Yes. You are eligible to take any Minor offered by the university except those which are specifically excluded to your program because they are too closely related to the core program requirements. For more information refer to the Undergraduate Calendar.

Can I earn more than one Minor?

Yes. However, an individual course may only be used to satisfy the requirement for one Minor. For more information refer to the Undergraduate Calendar

Can I substitute a Minor course?

No. Minor course requirements cannot be substituted. For more information refer to the Undergraduate Calendar

Does the Minor appear on my actual award (degree) document?

No. the Minor is only reflected on your academic record (official transcript).

As a direct-entry student, do I need to apply for Transfer Credits for courses covered by my college diploma to use towards a Minor?

Students who are granted admission to a Direct Entry program are not required to complete course(s) in the previous semester(s)/year(s), toward their core program/major/option unless specifically told to do so in their Offer of Admission.

For example, students granted admission to the third year of a Ryerson program are not required to complete courses from semesters one through four towards their core program/plan unless specifically told to do so in their Offer of Admission.

Therefore, any first or second year course that you have been exempted from taking can be used towards Minor requirements without transfer credit application if applicable.

Can I use Professional or Professionally-Related courses towards my Liberal Studies requirements?

No. You must use courses from the Liberal Studies tables listed in the Calendar. For more information refer to the Undergraduate Calendar.  

Can I use a Lower Level Liberal Studies (LLLS) course for an Upper Level (ULLS)?

No. Lower Level Lliberal Studies (LLLS) courses may not be used for Upper Level Liberal Studies (ULLS), but ULLS courses may be used for LLLS requirements. For more information refer to the Undergraduate Calendar

How would I know which Liberal Studies courses are not available to my program?

You are must refer to the restrictions listed after Tables A and B in the Undergraduate Calendar. For more information refer to the Undergraduate Calendar

I am short one course to graduate. Can I take it in the summer and still graduate in June?

No. Students who are completing courses over the summer must apply to graduate during the Spring/Summer term for Fall convocation. Please refer to Applying to Graduate for details.

I completed all of my program requirements but my GPA is below 1.67. What can I do?

You must upgrade some of the courses you have low grades in, or take replacement courses to increase your GPA.

I took a course that is not part of my program. What do I do?

You may pursue a Course Exception and complete a Course Directive/Course Substitution form. For more information please refer to Course Exceptions (Substitutions and Directives).

Can a certificate level course be used towards my degree requirements?

No. Only degree level courses can be used towards degree requirements.

When will I receive graduation information?

Eligible and non-eligible students will receive their information approximately two weeks prior to convocation ceremonies.

Can I receive more than two tickets to the Convocation ceremonies?

Please refer to the Convocation website for Convocation information.

I am a Part-time degree student. Can I also do a certificate program?

Yes, as long as it is not within the same discipline. Be sure to check certificate restrictions.

Do I need to register in a certificate program if I am a part-time degree student?

Yes, all students intending to complete a certificate program must officially register in the program prior to completion of 50% of the certificate course requirements. Please refer to The Chang School Certificates for more information.

I took some courses prior to being admitted into my program. Will these credits automatically count towards my program?

If the courses you took are applicable to your program, they will automatically be used to fulfill graduation requirements.

If not, you must apply for a Course Substitution/Course Directive. These courses will not be included in the calculation of your CGPA.

I am a Direct Entry student into 3rd year of the program. Am I eligible for any further credits?

Unless you have been assigned 'reachback' courses, you are not eligible for transfer credits. If you have been assigned 'reachbacks', you may apply for the same number of transfer credits as the number of assigned 'reachback' courses. Refer to your Offer of Admission for information.

I would like to change my status from Part-time to Full-time (or vice versa). What should I do?

A formal application for admission must be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to change your status.

I would like to take a course at another University. What is the procedure?

You must submit a Letter of Permission application [LOP], along with a course description and the application fee to the Curriculum Advising Office for assessment. You must apply for the transfer credit within three months of successful completion of the course(s) at the other school.

I need a letter to confirm that I was accepted to the 3rd year of the program. Where can I get it?

You may use the Request a Letter Service or complete the Letter Request Form.

I need a copy of the email and/or letter that you sent me. How can I get one?

All standardized communication (email messages and/or letters) that you have received from the Office of Curriculum Management: Curriculum Advising Unit or Transfer Credit Unit, can be found, seen, and copies printed from your Student Centre via RAMSS.   When you are in your Student Centre, scroll down to view the last bar/box on the right hand side of your Student Centre home page. It has the title of: Communications. Click on the sub-title View My Communications.  The communications that are available for you to view and print are listed here.  Select VIEW to see the communication that was sent to you. You can print a copy from here.

Office Hours & Location


Mailing Address:

Ryerson University, POD 355
350 Victoria Street
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M5B 2K3


Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


Phone: 416-979-5151
Fax (ServiceHub) : 416-979-8097

Significant Dates and Deadlines