There is a great deal of expertise and knowledge that can assist and support youth in their journey to build cybersecurity literacy, skills, and concepts in an effort to fill the critical shortage of current and future positions in the constantly evolving field of cybersecurity. The Rogers Cybersecure Catalyst identified a need to foster stronger collaboration between the cybersecurity community, academia, and educational partners to build awareness and understanding in cybersecurity for youth.
The resources below cover a series of key areas that youth need to be aware of in order to take advantage of the many benefits of technology, while recognizing and avoiding the potential risks.
Lighting the spark of interest and awareness in cybersecurity begins early. We have collaborated with educators to create resources related to cybersafety and cybersecurity. Each of these 6 themes were carefully selected and designed with youth (kindergarten to grade 12) in mind, with language and tone for each theme adapted to 3 age groups: grades K-3, grades 4-6 and grades 7-12.
We are covering 6 important themes including:
- Cyber Respect & Kindness
- Safe Communication Online
- Passcode Privacy
- Device Security
- Information Verification
- Positive Digital Footprint
We recommend resources for younger youth (grades K-3 and grades 4-6) are explored with the assistance of parent(s)/guardian(s), older sibilings or trusted adults.
- Resources for older youth (grades 7-12) are intended to be explored by the youth themselves as well as discussing with a trusted adult.
- Throughout each resource you may come across new cyber terms or common terms that are a bit tough to explain to youth. We have provided definitions in each resource, relative to the theme and content being covered, to help parents/guardians, educators and youth understand the information.
- Conversation Starters appear throughout or at the end of each resource and are meant to help youth reflect on their understanding of the information being shared. For younger youth (grades K-3 and grades 4-6), these discussions are meant to be led by parents/guardians, or, for older youth (grades 7-12), can be used as a reflection or as a way to share new knowledge with others.
- Activities conclude each resource and are designed to be completed independently by youth, unless otherwise noted in the activity instructions. Activities are a useful way for youth to assess their knowledge of the topic and themes.
Using these resources is quick, simple and free to access! Follow the link below to our Resources Page, download one, some or all of the resources for the suitable age group(s). These resources can be viewed digitally on a computer or tablet (recommended) or printed and read from the comfort of your couch! Find these resources helpful? We hope that you share often and share widely - with friends, families, neighbours and more!