I am a lawyer in Toronto, Canada. I have devoted my legal career to disability law and policy work. I work, often in collaboration with disability organizations, to advance the rights of people with disabilities through law reform and education. In addition to teaching Disability and the Law at Ryerson University, I teach at the Law Society of Upper Canada in the Professional Conduct and Practice in Ontario course. I work in private practice and previously worked in Ontario’s Legal Aid Clinic System, both at ARCH Disability Law Centre and the Advocacy Centre for the Elderly. I obtained my LLB from the University of Toronto in 1992 and was called to the Ontario bar in 1994. I am also a graduate of the Maytree Public Policy Training Institute.
My work has covered diverse areas of disability law, including legal capacity, abuse of people with disabilities, accessibility of telecommunications, including litigating at the CRTC, home care, supportive housing, services for people with intellectual disabilities and assistive devices. My current work focus is on legal capacity, decision-making and the domestic and international law implications of United Nations treaties, including the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. I speak at conferences and do consulting work both in Canada and internationally.
- Lana Kerzner, “Supported Decision-Making Innovations: The Canadian Experience” in Disability Law and Policy: An Analysis of the UN Convention, Charles O’Mahony and Gerard Quinn, eds (Dublin: Clarus Press Ltd, 2017).
- Lana Kerzner and Michael Bach, “Fulfilling the Promise: ‘Alternative Courses of Action’ under the Substitute Decisions Act”, prepared for the Law Commission of Ontario, 2014, unpublished.
- Lana Kerzner, “Paving the way to Full Realization of the CRPD’s Rights to Legal Capacity and Supported Decision-Making: A Canadian Perspective”, prepared as a scoping paper and presented at a legal capacity symposium at the University of British Columbia (In From the Margins: New Foundations for Personhood and Legal Capacity in the 21st century), 2011, online: https://citizenship.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2014/07/In_From_The_Margins_Paper-Lana_Kerzner-FINAL-April_22_2011__2_.pdf.
- Michael Bach and Lana Kerzner, “A New Paradigm for Protecting Autonomy and the Right to Legal Capacity”, prepared for the Law Commission of Ontario, 2010, online: https://www.lco-cdo.org/en/our-current-projects/the-law-and-persons-with-disabilities/disabilities-call-for-papers-january-2010/commissioned-papers-the-law-and-persons-with-disabilities/a-new-paradigm-for-protecting-autonomy-and-the-right-to-legal-capacity/ .
- Lana Kerzner, “Providing Legal Services to People with Disabilities”, 2009, ARCH Disability Law Centre
- Lana Kerzner, “Embracing Supported Decision-Making: Foundations for a New Beginning”, 2009, written for the Canadian Association for Community Living.
- Lana Kerzner, “Legal Rights and Benefits for Consumer/Survivors” in Honouring the Past, Shaping the Future: 25 years of Progress in Mental Health Advocacy and Rights Protection, Psychiatric Patient Advocate Office, Queen’s Printer for Ontario, 2008, online:PDF file , external linkPDF filehttp://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mohltc/ppao/en/Documents/pub-ann-25.pdf, external link.
- Phyllis Gordon, Lana Kerzner, Tess Sheldon and Eli Hansen, “Assistive Devices in Canada: Ensuring Inclusion and Independence” 2007, online: , external linkhttp://www.archdisabilitylaw.ca/?q=assistive-devices-canada-ensuring-inclusion-and-independence, external link.
- Lana Kerzner, “Mental Capacity through a Disability Law Lens” in Disability and Social Policy in Canada, 2nd ed., Mary Ann McColl and Lyn Jongbloed, eds (Concord, Ontario: Captus Press Inc., 2006).
- Lana Kerzner, Laurie Letheren and Susan J. Stamm, “Estate Planning and Persons with Disabilities: Use of Trusts in Ontario and other Canadian Jurisdictions”, 2006, prepared for an Ontario Bar Association program “Cross Country Expedition: Probate and Incapacity Planning & Administration across Provincial Boundaries”, 2006, online: , external linkhttp://www.archdisabilitylaw.ca/estate-planning-and-disability, external link.
- Lana Kerzner, Fact Sheets on Abuse and Persons with Disabilities, 2005, ARCH Disability Law Centre.
- Lana Kerzner and David Baker, “A Canadians with Disabilities Act?”, written for Council of Canadians with Disabilities,1999, online: , external linkhttp://www.ccdonline.ca/en/socialpolicy/fda/cda, external link