What We Offer
The Science Discovery Zone's model is based on evidence-based innovation. Membership at the SDZ can take place in one of three streams: Participate, Ideate, or Validate.
In the Participate stream, you do not need an idea or a problem to solve.
The main focus is to learn about the startup/innovation world, how to solve problems, expose yourself to different skills, and meet like-minded people.
Some of the resources we've tailored to the participate stream:
- Social events
- Technical workshops (Laser Cutting, 3D Printing, and more)
- Transferable Skills workshops (Pitching, Design Thinking, and more)
- Our Curiosity series (intended to help answer questions and spark innovative ideas)
- A collaborative and multi-disciplinary community to connect with regularly
- Internship program (new as of Fall 2019!)
In the Ideate stream, members have found an idea/problem that they are passionate about solving and want to start applying their knowledge to make it a reality.
Our safe and supportive environment for Ideate members provides you:
- Ideation tools and support, including workbooks and idea invalidation sessions
- Peer working groups arranged around common interests
- Our new internship program
- Academic and business mentorship
- Networking events
- Access to our fabrication, chemistry, and biology laboratories (fees may apply)
In the Validate stream, you have an early-stage solution and require either business or technical support. Here, we work as more of a traditional incubator and provide you with resources to help your company grow in its early stages. This stream requires previous work to be completed before joining the SDZ, such as talking to your customer, market research, and initial prototyping.
This is how the SDZ helps you accelerate your growth:
- Workshops and seminars on common startup concerns, including legal issues, marketing/communications, and business administration
- Access to interns through our new intern pilot program
- Access to designated desks and lab spaces (for a fee)
- Access to the Ryerson libraries, Clausehound, Hubspot, etc.
- Access to technical and business mentors