Skip to main content
Faculty of Community Services

Early Childhood Studies (MA) FAQs

Don’t see your question here? Check the Graduate Studies Admissions FAQ for more information about admissions and the application process.

What can I do with an MA in Early Childhood Studies?
  • Policy analysis
  • College-level teaching
  • Research
  • Advocacy
  • Practice
  • Consulting
  • Child care administration 
  • Family support program administration
  • Doctoral studies

This graduate program does not qualify you to register as an early childhood educator (ECE) with the Ontario College of Early Childhood Educators, nor does it qualify you to become an Ontario Certified Teacher (OCT). However, we do have many registered ECEs and OCTs who apply and are admitted to the program.

How long will it take me to complete the degree?

It depends on whether you enroll as full-time or part-time, and on how many courses you take per term.

Full-time students who take the maximum course load of four courses per term can complete the program in one year.

Part-time students who take the maximum course load of two courses per term can complete the program in two years.

Check out MRP program structure and Courses Stream program structure for more information.

Do you offer courses during the evening?

Yes. We offer sufficient courses during the evenings for part-time students to complete the program within two years. Evening classes run from 6 to 9 p.m. and are held weeknights on campus.

We offer more courses during the daytime than during the evening.

Is there a residency requirement?

Yes. You must complete at least 50% of the program’s degree course requirements, and Major Research Paper (if applicable) while continuously registered as a graduate student at Ryerson.

How do I find an advisor to help with academic and career choices?

When you apply, you have the opportunity to request a faculty advisor or supervisor who will support your success.

In your statement of interest, identify up to three graduate program faculty members with whom you would like to work.

Your faculty advisor provides guidance to promote your professional development and intellectual growth. Supervisors support Master’s Research Paper students with their graduate research work, while providing advice, guidance and mentorship.

We assign a faculty advisor to you upon admission to the program. Once you complete the first term of the program, you then decide whether to pursue the MRP Stream or Courses Stream. At this point, MRP students must find a supervisor who agrees to supervise their graduate research work, while Courses Stream students will continue on with the faculty advisor they were assigned.

How many courses can I take per term?

Part-time students can take a maximum of two courses per term. We recommend that Full-time students take no more than four courses per term.

When are applications due?

Submit your application by the first consideration deadline to be guaranteed consideration for admission and scholarships. Submit your application prior to the first consideration deadline to increase your chances of securing financial support.

I have missed the first consideration deadline. Does this mean I can’t apply?

We will continue to accept applications after the first consideration deadline until all available seats are filled. Find out if we’re still accepting applications.