Skip to main content

Future Study

Your BA in Early Childhood Studies provides a rich foundational knowledge for a variety of post-graduate studies in community services and related fields.

Child Life Specialist (Certification)

What they do:

Child life specialists work to promote the psycho-social health and well being of children and youth in healthcare and community settings. Child life specialists provide children and youth facing illness, trauma and loss with opportunities to engage in therapeutic activities which promote continued growth and development.

Child life specialists draw upon knowledge in child development and family systems to help children develop effective coping through play, education and self expression.

Where they work:

Child Life Specialists work in hospital or health care settings, hospices, community agencies and not-for-profit organizations.

Become a certified child life specialist:

Teacher (Ontario College of Teaching Certification, BEd)

Faculties of Education provide a two year academic preparation program necessary to apply to the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT)

Where they work:

OCT certification allows graduates to apply to teach in publically funded schools in Ontario at the primary/junior, intermediate or senior levels.

Become a certified teacher in Ontario:

View a list of universities offering teacher education programs:

Alumni Profile

Careers in Legal Justice and Law

Graduates wishing to pursue careers working with children and families within the legal and justice system, may choose to apply to law school once they have completed their BA studies.

The University of Toronto provides a step-by-step guide to becoming a lawyer:

Visit the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre for a complete listing of law schools in Ontario.

Careers in Research, Policy and Advocacy

Our graduates can be found in a range of positions that focus on early childhood research, policy and advocacy. The School of Early Childhood Studies nurtures the capacity for early learning and care advocates who work to achieve programs and policies which positively impact Canadian families and children in such organizations as:

Alumni Profile

Careers in Creative Arts and Design

Many graduates choose to combine their foundational knowledge in early childhood studies with post graduate studies in art, design and technology.

Graduates from our program have pursued careers, research and studies in the following fields:

Creative Arts

Combining research and theory from undergraduate and graduate studies, Ryerson graduates are involved in the design and implementation of creative arts programs for children and youth including:

  • visual arts
  • dramatic arts
  • writing and poetry
  • dance and movement
  • music

Please visit the Art Gallery of Ontario, Centennial College’s certificate in professional writing, Ontario Colleges, the Royal Conservatory of Music  for examples.

Alumni Profile


Graduates wishing to apply their knowledge of theory, development and research in early childhood may choose to combine these studies with critical research and application in environmental design, fashion media and business. Including:

  • adaptive technology
  • gaming and design
  • environmental and interior design
  • fashion
  • media studies

Parsons-The New School for Design is one example where students can pursue these studies.

Visit Ryerson's EDGE Lab for more information.

Graduate Degrees

Graduates from our program have been successful in pursuing studies in the following Graduate Programs:

  • Graduate Studies in Rehabiliation Services Fields
  • Graduate Studies in Early Childhood Studies and Education
Social Worker (MSW)

What they do:

Social workers are professionals grounded in a social justice approach who work with children and families in a variety of community and health care settings.  Social work practice involves helping individuals and groups to develop skills and resources which promote well being and builds capacity at both individual and community levels. 

Where they work:

Graduates find employment in a variety of settings such as: Child Welfare, Boards of Education, multi-service agencies, hospitals, Family Services and private practice.

Master of Social Work (MSW)

MSW programs are available at the following universities:

For additional information, please visit:

Alumni Profile

Occupational Therapist (MScOT)

What they do:

Occupational therapy is a profession which focuses on working with individuals and groups to strengthen skills and abilities necessary to actively participate in daily life activities. 

Where they work:

Occupational therapists work in a variety of settings such as schools, community centres, hospitals and in the home.

Occupational Therapy (MScOT)

There are a variety of institutions offering graduate studies in OT such as:

For more information, please visit:



Physiotherapist (MPT or MScPT)

What they do:

A physiotherapist is an allied health member, working with patients of all ages. Physiotherapists work in healthcare centres, community organizations, sports clinics, private practice and in the home to reduce physical barriers to healthy functioning, prevent disease and promote health behaviours and activities.

Physiotherapy (MPT or MScPT)

A variety of institutions offer graduate studies in phsyio or physical therapy such:

For more information, please visit:


Speech Pathologist (MSc or MHSc)

What they do:

Speech language pathologists focus on the assessment and treatment of a variety of communication and swallowing disorders.

Where they work:

SLP professionals work in education, healthcare and community services with individuals and groups.

Speech Language Pathology (MSc or MHSc)

A variety of institutions offer graduate studies in speech language pathology:

For more information, please visit the Ontario Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists.



Graduate Studies in Early Childhood Studies and Education (MA, MT, Med)

Master of Education (MA, Med)

The Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) offers a variety of graduate degrees combining studies in teaching, curriculum and child development.

For a list of programs, please visit:

Other university graduate studies in education include:

Master of Teaching (MT)

The University of Toronto also offers a combined graduate degree in teaching and education. Students graduate with a Master of Teaching (MT) and a Bachelor of Education (BEd) and are eligible to apply for certification with the OCT.

Master of Early Childhood Studies (MA)

Ryerson University offers an innovative Master of Arts program leading to a Master of Arts (MA) degree in Early Childhood Studies. This program is unique among graduate program in North America with a focus on integrating diversity into early childhood studies.  Terms such as "diversity" and "inclusion" are used in the broadest sense to include issues of linguistic, cultural and racial identity as well as disability, gender, class, sexuality, age and migration status.  This approach is in recognition of a child's need to develop a positive identity, not only as an individual but also as a member of a group.  Through a critical and reflective process, students will develop a deep understanding of the complex issues that affect children and their families.