Dr. Ebrahim Bagheri
Areas of Academic Interest
Social media analytics
Software and knowledge engineering
|2009||University of New Brunswick||PhD|
|2005||Ferdowsi University of Mashhad||MSc|
|2003||Ferdowsi University of Mashhad||BSc|
Ebrahim Bagheri’s early experience as an international student in Canada has helped shape his approach to leading his own team of graduate researchers. Because he knows firsthand how hard it can be to integrate into a new country with a vastly different culture, Bagheri takes great care to not only build a community within his lab but also fill the void of support systems left behind. “The lab has to act as the student’s home and give them a sense of comfort and belonging. It has to be an exciting environment to show them that, if they do good work, their future will be bright.”
That sense of community continues beyond graduation. Every year, Bagheri meets with his group of more than 80 former graduate students. Many have gone on to earn prestigious jobs in academia with Canada’s top banks and major industrial firms, but all of them share one thing in common. “When I talk to the students who’ve graduated from here, they’re very happy. That’s what you want in life: to do what makes you happy.”
“Ryerson is among the top-notch universities in Canada, where students and young faculty members have a real chance at making a mark.”
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Synergy Award for Innovation, 2019
- Ryerson University’s Dean’s Teaching Award, 2016
- Professional Engineers’ Ontario Engineering Medal for Young Engineer, 2016
- Ryerson University’s Early Career Research Excellence Award, 2014
- Khodabakhsh, M. and E. Bagheri (2021). “Semantics-enabled Query Performance Prediction for Ad hoc Table Retrieval”, Information Processing and Management 58 (1): 102399.
- Vo, D.-T. and E. Bagheri (2020). “Extracting Temporal and Causal Relations based on Event Networks”. Information Processing and Management, 57 (6): 102319.
- Arabzadeh, N., F. Zarrinkalam, J. Jovanovic, F. Al-Obeidat, E. Bagheri (2020), “Neural Embedding-based Specificity Metrics for Pre-Retrieval Query Performance Prediction”, Information Processing and Management, 57 (4): 102248.
- Falavarjani, S. A. M., F. Zarrinkalam, J. Jovanovic, E. Bagheri, and A. A. Ghorbani (2019). “The Reflection of Offline Activities on Users’ Online Social Behavior: An Observational Study”. Information Processing and Management, 56(6): 102070.
- Zarrinkalam, F., M. Kahani, and E. Bagheri (2019). “User Interest Prediction over Future Unobserved Topics on Social Networks”. Information Retrieval Journal, 22(1-2): 93-128.
- Member, Professional Engineers Ontario
- Senior Member, IEEE