Areas of Academic Interest
GPGPU and CPU-GPU systems
Co-scheduling and co-running for CPU-GPU processing
Smart RFID systems
Many professors wind down research in the latter stages of their career. Not Gul Khan. On the contrary, his work in the field of system-on-chip design and embedded systems is only ramping up.
Early in his career, he spent 12 years working in industry. It was during a sabbatical that he discovered teaching, which sparked a fire inside of Khan. “When I impart knowledge to somebody else, it gives me satisfaction inside, that I’m transferring knowledge to the next generation.” At Ryerson, he has played an instrumental role in establishing the computer engineering program, which he carried through its infancy as program director.
Today, Khan looks forward to the final chapter of his career, with graduate teaching and research taking centre stage. And there’s never been a better time for someone with his skill set, which straddles both hardware and software. “Nowadays, with any new device you use in your home, system-on-chip is there. Technology cannot exist without it.”
“If you work hard, you will benefit. Work will never be wasted.”
- University Gold Medal for Best Overall Performance, 1979
- Quaid-i-Azam Scholarship, 1981-82, 1986-89
- Imperial College Bursary, University of London, 1986-89
- Overseas Research Student Award, Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals of the Universities of the United Kingdom, 1987-89
- Masoud Oveis-Gharan and Gul N. Khan "Reconfigurable On-Chip Interconnection
Networks for High Performance Embedded SoC Design" Journal of Systems
Architecture, Vol. 106, June 2020.
- M. Obaidullah and Gul N. Khan “Application Mapping to Mesh NoCs using a Tabu-Search based Swarm Optimization” Microprocessors and Microsystems, Vol. 55, pp. 13-25, November 2017.
- Masoud Oveis-Gharan and Gul N. Khan "Efficient Dynamic Virtual Channel Organization and Architecture for NoC Systems" IEEE Transactions VLSI Systems, Vol. 24, No.2, pp. 465-478, Feb. 2016.
- Gul N. Khan and Markus Moessner "Low-cost authentication protocol for passive, computation capable RFID tags" Wireless Networks, Journal of Mobile Communication, Computation and Information, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 565-580, February 2015.
- Masoud Oveis-Gharan and Gul N. Khan "Statically Adaptive Multi-FIFO Buffer Architecture for Network-on-Chip" Microprocessors and Microsystems, Vol. 39, pp. 11-26, February 2015.
- Microsystems Research (MSRLab)
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Embedded Real-Time Communication Systems
- Senior Member, IEEE