Areas of Academic Interest
Built-in self-test and self-repair in reconfigurable computing systems
Digital and mixed-signal systems testing and testable design
Self-diagnosis in microprocessor-based measurement instruments
Fault tolerance in digital and mixed-signal systems
Error control codes
When it comes to research, Vadim Geurkov values quality over quantity, and impact over accolades. “It’s better to create one masterpiece in five years than 50 each year,” he says. “You may publish just one work, but if someone actually can use it, you feel so satisfied.”
There’s perhaps no better field for a researcher like Geurkov than in reconfigurable computer systems, where he focuses on error detection, location and correction. After all, these systems are everywhere and, in many of them – such as hospitals, space travel and nuclear power plants – faults can lead to life-critical situations. Increasing the fault tolerance, robustness and reliability of these systems leads to a safer world for all of us.
Despite his conscientious approach to research, Geurkov is never short of ideas. In his office sits a folder that acts as a sort of research diary, documenting the many projects and theories Geurkov hopes to one day explore. Somewhere in that folder lies Geurkov’s masterpiece. “You get lots of satisfaction when you do something which has not been done by anyone else. You raise the bar, and no one can jump over that bar. You can. It’s not easy, but be persistent.”
“The smarter you are, the more you realize how little you actually know.”
- V. Geurkov and L. Kirischian, “On the Use of an Algebraic Signature Analyzer for Mixed-Signal Systems Testing”., external link VLSI Design, vol. 2014, Article ID 465907, 8 pages, 2014. doi:10.1155/2014/465907.
- V. Geurkov and L. Kirischian, “Arithmetic Compactors Design: Application to Mixed Signal Systems”. I-Manager’s Journal on Embedded Systems, 2012, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-7.
- V. Geurkov, V. Kirischian, L. Kirischian and R. Sedaghat, “Concurrent Testing of Analog-to-Digital Converters”. I-Manager’s Journal on Electronics Engineering, 2010, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 8-14.
- V. Geurkov and L. Kirischian, “On the Signature Analysis of Analog-to-Digital Converters”. I-Manager’s Journal on Software Engineering, 2010, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 44-49.
- V. Kirischian, V. Geurkov, P. Chun, and L. Kirischian, “Macro-Programmable Reconfigurable Stream Processor for Collaborative Manufacturing Systems”. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 2008, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 723-734.
- Embedded Reconfigurable Systems Laboratory
- Ontario Society of Professional Engineers, Member
- Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario, Member
- IEEE, Senior Member
- ACM, Member