Student Learning Centre
Ryerson’s external,Student Learning Centre (SLC) transformed the corner of Yonge and Gould into one of Toronto’s most vibrant, people-friendly intersections. Offering panoramic views of the city, high ceilings and plenty of natural light, the SLC provides an outstanding environment in which to study, collaborate and share ideas. The building stands eight storeys high and is home to Ryerson’s School of Performance, Digital Media Experience Lab, Student Learning Support and more. Truly a library of the 21st century, the SLC has become a centralized hub for student learning, activity and innovation.
The external,SLC is a LEED Gold certified building that boasts a number of resource-efficient features, including:
- three green roofs;
- water-conserving plumbing fixtures;
- roof and ground water collection systems to harvest stormwater; and
- a transparent, temperature-moderating glass exterior.
The SLC has received a number of awards, including:
- 2017 external,American Concrete Institute (ACI) Excellence in Concrete Construction Award for Decorative Concrete
- PDF file2017 Toronto Urban Design Award for Best Public Building in Context
- external,2016 AIA/ALA Library Building Award
- external,2016 AIA NY Honor Award
- external,2015 Façade of The Year — International Award for Façade Engineering Excellence (Flynn Canada)
- 2015 external,OGMA Award for Excellence in Architectural Glass and Metal Execution (Flynn Canada)
- 2015 external,Glass Magazine Award
- external,2011 Canadian Architect Award of Excellence