Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex
Ryerson’s Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex is a mixed-used development. This multifunctional hub will house innovative academic space, administrative offices, student accommodations and more. Designed to be a welcoming and inclusive home for living and learning, this development includes a residential tower and an academic and administrative podium.
Serving as a hub for interdisciplinary collaboration, the Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex is a catalyst for innovation and excellence for sustainable building practices and city-building. The building features a holistic approach to health and wellness, fulfilling the goal of creating connections for a healthy city.
Gross floor area: 30,900 m2 (332,604 square feet)
Building height: 29 floors (27 plus 2 mechanical penthouse, 4 below grade)
Academic, classroom and program space: 8 floors, 16,145 m2 (173,783 square feet)
Residence space: 18 floors, 11,376 m2 (122,450 square feet), 100 units
Residence capacity: 332 students
- Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing
- School of Occupational and Public Health
- School of Nutrition
- Midwifery Education Program
- Creative Technology Lab (FCAD)
- Learning and Teaching Centre
- Math Support
- Digital Media Projects
- Curriculum Quality Assurance
- Experiential Learning
- Interdisciplinary Graduate Studies
- Urban Farm Office
- Food Services
- Green Roof
153 parking spots including the electric vehicle spots
184 bicycle spots
The Vision Statement and Guiding Principles guide and inform the design process, ensuring that decision-making reflects key aspirations of the entire Ryerson community.
Creating connections for a healthy city.
Identity: A hub for interdisciplinary collaboration, celebrating a holistic approach to health and wellness.
Experience: A welcoming and inclusive home for new communities of living and learning.
Legacy: A catalyst for innovation and excellence, transforming education and the city.
- Inclusivity: At the Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex, accessibility will be seamless, beautiful and inclusive.
- Student experience: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will foster the development of students and residents as responsible, caring and professional global citizens.
- Sustainability: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will be a living lab, teaching through interaction and celebrating the connections between sustainability and health.
- Pedagogy: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will promote collaborative, transformative learning experiences, accommodating the full range of future pedagogical models.
- Civic identity: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will be a building that cares for its neighbourhood, its community and its city.
- Public realm: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will bring animation, activity, and safety to the street and will extend an exciting public realm throughout the building.
- Flexibility: Each space at the Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will accommodate multiple uses and the building will accommodate multiple futures.
- Collaboration: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will be built around a network of shared public spaces that offer frequent, varied opportunities for interaction and collaboration.
- Innovation: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will embody Ryerson’s culture of entrepreneurship and innovation.