Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex
Ryerson’s Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex is a mixed-used development. This multifunctional hub will house innovative academic space, administrative offices, student accommodations and more. Designed to be a welcoming and inclusive home for living and learning, this development includes a residential tower and an academic and administrative podium.
Serving as a hub for interdisciplinary collaboration, the Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex is a catalyst for innovation and excellence for sustainable building practices and city-building. The building features a holistic approach to health and wellness, fulfilling the goal of creating connections for a healthy city.
Gross floor area: 30,900 m2 (332,604 square feet)
Building height: 29 floors (27 plus 2 mechanical penthouse, 4 below grade)
Academic, classroom and program space: 8 floors, 16,145 m2 (173,783 square feet)
Residence space: 18 floors, 11,376 m2 (122,450 square feet), 100 units
Residence capacity: 332 students
Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing
School of Nutrition
School of Occupational and Public Health
Fabrication Zone Space
153 parking spots including the electric vehicle spots
184 bicycle spots
The Vision Statement and Guiding Principles guide and inform the design process, ensuring that decision-making reflects key aspirations of the entire Ryerson community.
Creating connections for a healthy city.
Identity: A hub for interdisciplinary collaboration, celebrating a holistic approach to health and wellness.
Experience: A welcoming and inclusive home for new communities of living and learning.
Legacy: A catalyst for innovation and excellence, transforming education and the city.
- Inclusivity: At the Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex, accessibility will be seamless, beautiful and inclusive.
- Student experience: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will foster the development of students and residents as responsible, caring and professional global citizens.
- Sustainability: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will be a living lab, teaching through interaction and celebrating the connections between sustainability and health.
- Pedagogy: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will promote collaborative, transformative learning experiences, accommodating the full range of future pedagogical models.
- Civic identity: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will be a building that cares for its neighbourhood, its community and its city.
- Public realm: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will bring animation, activity, and safety to the street and will extend an exciting public realm throughout the building.
- Flexibility: Each space at the Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will accommodate multiple uses and the building will accommodate multiple futures.
- Collaboration: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will be built around a network of shared public spaces that offer frequent, varied opportunities for interaction and collaboration.
- Innovation: The Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex will embody Ryerson’s culture of entrepreneurship and innovation.