Sustainability initiatives at Ryerson University have grown as a result of active engagement from diverse groups across campus. Students, faculty and staff work hard to advance Ryerson’s environmental performance. By working together, we are strengthening a culture of sustainability that encourages us all to participate and do our part.
Ryerson’s Sustainability Office offers training for students and employees about actions that they can implement on campus and beyond to contribute to a more sustainable future. We also provide leadership and professional development opportunities through internships and skills-based volunteering. While the university strives to improve operations and build systems that make sustainability inherent, individual behaviours have an impact on the overall success of lowering our environmental footprint.
You can get involved and contribute towards improved sustainability practices at Ryerson:
- browse our list of volunteer opportunities for students
- learn about opportunities across campus with other Ryerson departments and groups
- participate in our upcoming events
- adopt simple sustainability tips
Volunteer with Ryerson’s Sustainability Office
The Sustainability Office is seeking student volunteers who are passionate about sustainability and interested in contributing to a more sustainable campus. Learn about opportunities available in 2020:
Sustainability initiatives on the Ryerson campus
Ongoing efforts by students, faculty and staff fuel innovative contributions towards greater environmental sustainability at Ryerson and beyond. Learn more about these exciting departments and groups you can get involved with.s.
Ryerson Urban Farm: The rooftop farm located on the Andrew and Valerie Pringle Environmental Green Roof is currently under construction. The volunteer program has been put on hold until summer 2020.
- RSU Sustainability Committee, external link: Join this Ryerson Students’ Union (RSU) group and contribute towards environmental justice and sustainability initiatives such as campaigns and events.
- The Good Food Centre, external link: Volunteers play a crucial role in maintaining daily operations of this RSU equity centre, which works to reduce the impacts of food insecurity for all Ryerson community members.
- Microbe Hub, external link: Get hands-on experience with research, vermiculture composting and sustainable waste management with this student-led group working out of Ryerson’s Social Venture Zone.
- Corporate Social Responsibility Student Association (CSRSA): Committed to making the business world a better place, this Ted Rogers School of Management student group raises awareness and educates students about the benefits of corporate social responsibility.
- Environment and Urban Sustainability Student Association (EUSSA), external link: Help promote the interests of Environment and Urban Sustainability undergraduate students and advocate for sustainability and environmental stewardship on campus and within the community.
- Ryerson Social, Economic and Environmental Design (RSEED), external link: This Faculty of Communication and Design student group provides information about how students can live a more eco-friendly life.
- Ryerson University Chapter of the Water Environment Association of Ontario (RU- WEAO): This group spreads awareness about the critical importance of access to fresh drinking water and how acting locally can help maintain a healthy water environment. Undergraduate and graduate students in all programs are invited to participate through events such as technical seminars, workshops and treatment plant tours.
- Ryerson University Chapter of Engineers Without Borders (EWB), external link: Help plan events, fundraise and engage the Ryerson campus with this student group that inspires individuals to develop solutions to issues affecting the developing world.