Dr. Sandra Tullio-Pow
Dr. Sandra Tullio-Pow
Fashion Design Program Director and Associate Professor
- Bachelor of Design, Ryerson School of Fashion
- MEd, Brock University
- PhD, University of Alberta
Dr. Sandra Tullio-Pow’s research is human centred at its core. Working in collaborative teams, recent projects include inventing clothing for extraordinary groups, specifically: patients in hospital rehab programs and those with hemi paresis, breast cancer survivors, women with lymphedema, women who wear plus size, and people with low vision. She co-developed a technology enabled therapeutic garment for autistic infants. Her expertise is designing apparel solutions that consider the clothing taskscape to improve quality of life.
- Research Methods in Fashion
- Human Centred Design
- Fashion design and pattern drafting
- Human centered design/design thinking
- Research Methods
- 2017 – $50,000 – Toronto Police Services (research) Examination of uniform needs for neighbourhood officers. Principal Investigator: Tullio-Pow, S. Co-Investigators: Schaefer, K., Dell’Agnese, L., Chau, P.Y., White, T., Dares, J., Lee, D., & Kim, N.
- 2017 $14,320 – Liquor Control Board of Ontario (research) Examination of uniform needs. Principal Investigator: Tullio-Pow. S.
Tullio-Pow, S. (2019). Using the Clothing Taskscape for Uniform Redevelopment. ITAA 2019: Risk and Reward. Las Vegas, NV, Oct 25-29, 2019.
Tullio-Pow, S., Schaefer, K., Dell’Agnese, L., Chau, P.Y., White, T., Dares, J., Lee, D. and Kim, N., (2018). Neighbourhood Police Officers: An Assessment of Needs for Uniform Renewal. ITAA 2018: Re-Imagine the Renewable. Cleveland, OH, Nov 6-9, 2018.
Kincaid, M., Yaworski, A. & Tullio-Pow, S. (2018). Style Your Fit: Transgender/Maternity Clothing Needs, Fit Challenges, and Solutions. ITAA 2018: Re-Imagine the Renewable. Cleveland, OH, Nov 6-9, 2018.
Schaefer, K., Tullio-Pow, S., Abel, S., Story, C., & Barry, B. (2017). The right fit: A clothing needs assessment of women with plus-size bodies (20+). In ITAA 2017 Proceedings: Anchored By Our Past, Navigating Our Future. St. Petersburg, FL: ITAA. Winner: Alvanon Research Award*
Tullio-Pow, S. (2016). Mapping the Clothing Taskscape: Apparel Needs in Rehabilitation Therapy. In ITAA 2017 Proceedings: Anchored By Our Past, Navigating Our Future. St. Petersburg, FL: ITAA. Winner: ITAA Student Best Paper Doctoral*
Ahsan, N. & Tullio-Pow, S. (2015). Functional Clothing for Natural Disaster Survivors. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 24(3) pg. 306-319.
Yu, H., Akhtar, A., & Tullio-Pow, S. (2015). Retail Design and the Visually Impaired: A Needs Assessment. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services (24), pg. 121-129.