How to Apply
Are you interested in applying to the Master of Arts in Fashion? Below is the information you need to know to successfully submit an application.
- Completion of a four-year bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited institution
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.00/4.33 (B or equivalent)
If you have not completed two or more years, full-time, at a Canadian university you will be required to provide certification of English language proficiency:
- through one of the accepted examinations listed in the YSGS admissions website, opens in new window. Scores are valid for two years from the test date.
- If you have completed two or more years at a university at which English was the primary language of instruction, or have completed a graduate degree at a university where English was the primary language of instruction, applicants are required to provide an official statement from their institutions Registrar's office confirming the use of English as the Medium of Instruction for the duration of their study.
It is important to understand that meeting the minimum English proficiency requirements does not guarantee admission.
You are required to submit a brief 500-word statement of interest demonstrating your capacity to succeed in the program.
The statement should describe:
- Your motivations for pursuing graduate studies in Fashion.
- How your previous studies and experience have prepared you for the MA Fashion program, even if these were not in the field of fashion specifically.
- Relevant work, volunteer or community experience.
- Future career plans.
- Potential project proposal and/or potential supervisors for your project, should you have an early idea.
Two Letters of Recommendation are required for each application.
Ideally, the two recommendations should be from academic referees* – former professors or research supervisors familiar with applicant’s abilities.
*One recommendation may be substituted with a professional letter from a previous employer.
Please ensure that if you include a Professional Recommendation, that it speaks to the applicant's skills specifically, rather than personal qualities,
Referees names and contact information are entered during the online application process. Your referees will be contacted electronically within two to three business days of your application submission with a link and further instructions on submitting their online reference. Please ensure that the contact information is accurate.
It is your responsibility to follow up with your referee to confirm it has been submitted.
Please submit an updated Resume/CV and highlight how your previous studies and experiences have prepared you for graduate studies at Ryerson University.
Please submit an academic research essay with consistent citations with a minimum length of 7-10 pages double-spaced in 12-point font.
It does not have to be on the topic of fashion specifically, just give us your best academic writing that shows your research potential.
The submission of a portfolio is optional. The writing sample is the main required component.
If you do not intend to submit a portfolio, please upload a PDF document to the admissions portal indicating you have chosen not to include a portfolio.
If you feel a portfolio strengthens your application, include a portfolio of your creative work in a field/area that you have studied and/or worked in by uploading a PDF file to the admissions portal. Please see additional instructions below.
Your portfolio should be a PDF file with 5-7 pieces that demonstrate your best creative work. Such work may include, but is not limited to, the following; garments, textiles, graphic design, accessory design, illustration, photography, creative writing, performance, website, video, installation, etc.
- Each portfolio piece should include a title and description that provides an overview of the work and specifies your role.
- Your PDF file should include digital images and/or links to external websites. Digital images should include material, size, date, etc.
- Web-based or video work should include the website address (URL) along with any necessary passwords.
- You may include full samples of creative writing pieces within the PDF file.
The portfolio must be submitted as one PDF file.
Applications will only be reviewed once all components above have been submitted via the Ryerson application portal.
The admissions online application is made available in mid-October.
You are required to submit all supporting documents (listed above) via the online portal by the First Consideration Deadline (mid January).
You can check if the program is accepting applications in the application deadlines page.
Financing Your Studies
Visit Financing Your Studies for more information on:
- Tuition and Fees
- Scholarships and Awards (both internal and external)
- Additional Support
- External Funding Programs
Note: Program funding is awarded to top candidates.
Visit, Apply Online for a step-by-step breakdown on successfully applying to MA
To review a listing of all required documents, please refer to the Prepare Your Application page on the Graduate Admissions website.
Visit Graduate Studies for additional information on:
- Admission Requirements
- Application Deadlines
- Applying Online
- Calculating Your GPA
- How to Make a Deposit Payment
- International Applicants
- Required Documents and Uploading Your Documents
Standard Applicant Review Timeline
Mid-end of January
The Yeates School of Graduate Studies reviews applications for eligibility.
Programs receive applications of eligible candidates and those applications are reviewed by a committee.
Offers are extended and candidates continue to be reviewed until the program is full.