FCAD Passport Fund
This fund was created by FCAD in partnership with RCDS to support students across the faculty embark on experiential learning opportunities outside of Canada. Students participating in international learning opportunities broaden their knowledge and understanding of other cultures, international markets and innovative practices taking place outside of Ryerson and their local communities.
The FCAD Passport Fund will provide up to 60 awards each to students taking part in FCAD-approved international activities between September 3, 2019 and September 3, 2020. Students taking part in an approved international intensive can receive up to $1,000 and students taking part in an international exchange can receive up to $2,000. Students are encouraged to apply for the award before applying to the international experience of their choice.
Awarded amounts will be determined based on the type of activity, the duration of activity, financial need and other considerations such as first-time students accessing financial support for international activities.
If successful award recipients do not use the grant towards an FCAD-approved international activity (see list here) between September 3, 2019 and September 3, 2020, the award will expire.
There are two application deadlines:
- November 5, 2019: For FCAD Exchange Students approved to go on exchange in Fall 2019/Winter 2020, and for any FCAD students thinking of participating in an International Intensive between September 3, 2019 and September 3, 2020.
- March 5, 2020: For students thinking of participating in an International Intensive between September 3, 2019 and September 3, 2020.
Students are encouraged to apply for the award before applying to the international experience of their choice.
Only successful applicants will be notified. Those who are not successful in receiving the award may resubmit their application for the next round. Please note that if you received an award from the FCAD Passport Fund in the past, you may NOT apply again in the future.
Successful students must use their funds for an international activity taking place between September 3, 2019 and September 3, 2020.
Please note that you must apply prior to your departure abroad. Funding will NOT be provided retroactively, with the exception of students going on an international activity for Fall 2019. Late applications will not be considered.
To be eligible for this award, students must:
- Be a registered full-time FCAD undergraduate program and have clear academic standing
- Meet a minimum CGPA of 2.50
- Demonstrate financial need, as determined by Ryerson University.
To be eligible for this award, the proposed international activity must be an approved FCAD Passport international activity (see list here, opens in new window):
- Short-term intensive
- Approved and/or led by FCAD staff or faculty;
- Approved programming that provides academic credit and/or is linked to an FCAD School activity;
- Students wishing to use the fund towards third-year exchange must use them for the following exchange semesters: Fall 2019 or Winter 2020;
- Priority will be given to students that are either presenting and/or playing a key role at the conference.
Students will complete an online application form for the FCAD Passport Fund via the new AwardSpring portal: https://ryerson.awardspring.ca/, external link.
The online application form will ask for the following:
- General information about you and your financial need
- Name of the intended FCAD-approved international activity (maximum 200 words)
- A written statement (maximum 500 words) that responds to the following questions:
- How will this international experience create impact, change or inspire the creative industries?
- How does the activity provide opportunities for academic, professional and/or personal growth?
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be considered. FCAD may ask for confirmation of any information provided. Applicants will receive results via email by the end of January 2020 for the first round and by the end of April 2020 for the second round.
The selection committee will be comprised of representatives from FCAD Dean’s Office. They will review the eligibility and application information and prepare a ranked list of qualified award recipients. The final selection of the recipient will be based on the outlined criteria.
- 70% - Written Statement
- 15% - Academic Achievement
- 15% - Other priority considerations (first time abroad on a Ryerson affiliated international activity, or first time accesses financial support for international activities through Ryerson)
Please note that this grant prioritizes students with financial need. In addition to assessing the above criteria, applicants who do not demonstrate financial need will not be eligible for the FCAD Passport Fund.
Successful candidate must:
- Complete Ryerson’s mandatory pre-departure process. No funding will be disbursed to students who do not complete Ryerson’s Pre-Departure requirements in advance of their travel.
- Must use the funds within the allocated time frame for an approved FCAD Passport international activity. If funds are not used during the allocated time for an approved FCAD Passport international activity, the fund will expire.
- If you decide not to take part in an International Intensive during the awarded cycle or use the credited funds during which you are approved for, you must inform FCAD International as soon as possible by emailing email@example.com
- Provide necessary documents when required to demonstrate proof of enrollment and proof of travel.
- Be an FCAD International Ambassador by supporting the sharing and promotion of the international activity during travel and upon return (e.g. blog writing, sharing photos/videos, providing a testimonial, participating at events, giving short presentations etc).
Failure to meet these responsibilities may result in the award being withdrawn.