You are now in the main content area
Associate Dean, Undergraduate Studies, Students and Pedagogy, Faculty of Community Services and Associate Professor, Midwifery Education Program
OfficeRoom SHE-696, Sally Horsfall Eaton Centre for Studies in Community Health
Areas of ExpertiseTeaching for social justice in the academy; Anti-oppressive teaching and pedagogy; Equity and social justice in health care; Midwifery education; Cultural representations of pregnancy and birth; Equity studies
- With Woman/Introduction to Midwifery, Ryerson University (2016-present)
- Birth and its Meanings, Ryerson University (2009-present)
- Working Across Difference in Midwifery Care, Ryerson University and McMaster University (1999–present)
- Social Aspects of Reproduction, McMaster University (2004-2007)
- Health Education and Health Promotion, Ryerson University (2000-2007)
- Health, Science and Society, Ryerson University (1999-2003)
- Editor. (2015). Natal Signs: Cultural Representations of Pregnancy, Childbirth and Parenting. Toronto: Demeter Press.
- Associate Editor. (2013). International Journal of Organizational Diversity. Volume 12.
- Guest Editor. (1993). Special Issue on Violence Prevention and Education: Women's Education des femmes (Journal of the Canadian Congress of Learning Opportunities of Women).
- Darling, Elizabeth, Nicole Bennett, Nadya Burton and Olivia Marquez (submitted 2019). Outcomes of Uninsured Midwifery Clients in Ontario, Canada: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Midwifery.
- Burton, Nadya and Rachel Ariss (2014). Diversity in Midwifery Care: Working Towards Social Change. Canadian Review of Sociology 51(3): 262-287.
- Dixon, Vanessa and Nadya Burton (2014). Are Midwifery Clients in Ontario Making Informed choices About Prenatal Screening? Women and Birth 27(2): 86-90.
- Burton, Nadya (2013). Limited and Limiting Knowledges: Talking to Clients about Prenatal Screening. International Journal of Communication and Health. 2013 (2): 12-19.
- Burton, Nadya and Nicole Bennett (2013). Meeting the Needs of Uninsured Women: Informed Choice, Choice of Birthplace and the Work of Midwives in Ontario. Women’s Health & Urban Life. 12 (2):23-44.
- Ariss, Rachel and Nadya Burton (2013). The Midwifery Model of Care: Structural Support for Diversity in Health Care. International Journal of Organizational Diversity. 12 (4): 15-23.
- Bennett, Nicole and Nadya Burton (2012). Midwives Responding to the Needs of Uninsured Clients: Old Order and New Immigrant Women in Midwifery Care. Canadian Journal of Midwifery Research and Practice. 11 (3): 8-17.
- Burton, Nadya and Rachel Ariss (2009). The Critical Social Voice of Midwifery: Midwives in Ontario. Canadian Journal of Midwifery Research and Practice 8(1), Winter 2009: 7-22.
- Burton, Nadya and Andrea Robertson. The Midwifery Client: Working Across Difference. In Comprehensive Midwifery: An Interactive Approach to the Theory and Evidence of Practice. Murray-Davis B, Hutton EK, Carty EC, Wainman B, Eds. Hamilton ON: The e-Book Foundry @ McMaster University. 2018.
- Burton, Nadya. Choosing to Know: Prenatal Testing and Informed Choice in Midwifery Care. Fecundity and Beginnings. Grenzer, Elke and Jan Plecash, Eds. London: Intellect Press. Forthcoming 2017.
- Burton, Nadya. Resistance to Prevention: Reconsidering Feminist Antiviolence Rhetoric. Violence Against Women: Philosophical Perspectives. French, Stanley, Wanda Teays, and Laura Purdy, Eds. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1998: 182-200.
- Book Review: Pushing for Midwives: Homebirth Mothers and the Reproductive Rights Movement (Christa Craven). American Ethnologist 39 (2), May 2012: 441-442.
- Book Review: At Work on the Field of Birth: Midwifery Narratives of Nature, Tradition and Home (Margaret MacDonald). Anthropologica 52 (2), 2010: 406-408.
- Birth and its Meanings: Creative Works from the Ryerson Midwifery Program. Exhibition Catalogue. April 18-21, 2013. Beit Zatoun, Toronto.
- Birth and its Meanings. Exhibition Catalogue. June 16-23, 2017. Milk Glass Gallery. Toronto.
- Teaching for Social Justice and Equity in the University. Ryerson University Teaching and Learning Conference. Toronto. May 2018.
- Teaching for Social Justice and Equity in Midwifery Education. Ontario Midwifery Conference. Association of Ontario Midwives Annual Conference. Muskoka, ON. May 2018.
- Teaching for Social Justice and Equity in Midwifery Curriculum. Midwives Making a Difference in the World. 31st International Confederation of Midwives Triennial Congress. Toronto. June 2017.
- Teaching Midwifery Through the Eyes of Art: Creative Works in the Field of Birth. Midwives Making a Difference in the World. 31st International Confederation of Midwives Triennial Congress. Toronto. June 2017.
- Refusing Delinquency, Reclaiming Power: Indigenous Motherhood and Midwifery Education. With Claire Dion Fletcher RM. Midwives Making a Difference in the World. 31st International Confederation of Midwives Triennial Congress. Toronto. June 2017.
- Peeking Over the Precipice: The Imperative to Reflect Critically on Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing. (Plenary) Midwifery Transforming Health. Association of Ontario Midwives Annual Conference. Toronto. May 2015.
- Diversity in Midwifery Care: Working Towards Social Justice. (Plenary) With Rachel Ariss, SJD. Celebrating Twenty Years of Regulated Midwifery in Ontario. Association of Ontario Midwives Annual Conference. Toronto. May 2014.
- Birth and its Meanings: Collaborations in the Creation of Indigenous Curriculum in Midwifery Education. (Plenary). With Cheryllee Bourgeois, RM and Claire Dion Fletcher, RM. Canadian Association of Midwives Annual Conference. Ottawa. November 2013.
- Choosing to Know: Prenatal Screening and Informed Choice. Canadian Association of Midwives Annual Conference. St. John’s NFLD. October 2012.
- Recognition, Equity and Difference in the Practice of Midwifery in Ontario. With Rachel Ariss, SJD. Diversity in Organizations, Communities and Nations. Vancouver, British Columbia. June 2012.
- Caring for Women on the Margins: Supporting Undocumented and Uninsured Birthing Women. With Nicole Bennett, RM. Canadian Federation of Humanities and Social Sciences Congress: Canadian Women’s Studies Association. Waterloo, ON. May 2012.
- Midwives Reflections on Providing Care for Women from Old Order Mennonite and Old Oder Amish Communities. With Nicole Bennett, RM. Association of Ontario Midwives Annual Conference. Toronto, ON. May 2012.
- Health Care for Vulnerable Populations: Midwifery Care to Uninsured Women. With Nicole Bennett, RM. Canadian Federation of Humanities and Social Sciences Congress: Canadian Sociological Association. Fredericton, New Brunswick. June 2011.
- How Is Choice of Birthplace a Different Decision without Health Care Insurance? Midwives Providing Informed Choice. With Nicole Bennett, RM. Association of Ontario Midwives 27th AGM and Conference. Hamilton, ON. May 2011.
- What Does Choice of Birthplace Mean When There is No Choice? Homebirth and Uninsured Clients in Midwifery Care. With Nicole Bennett, RM. The Place of Birth. Canadian Association of Midwives. Edmonton, Alberta. October 2010.
- Using “Who’s Your Daddy? And Other Writings on Queer Parenting” in the Classroom. LGBTQ Parenting Network: Sherbourne Community Health Centre: Toronto, ON, March 2010.
- Midwifery Care for Undocumented and Uninsured Women in Ontario. With Nicole Bennett, RM. Research on Healthcare for the Undocumented and Uninsured: Systems, Policies, Practices and their Consequences. Wellesley Institute and Women’s College Hospital. Toronto, ON, February 2010.
- The Critical Social Voice of Midwifery. With Rachel Ariss, SJD (Lakehead University). The Spirit of Midwifery. Canadian Association of Midwives. Vancouver, B.C., November 2007.
- Redefining the Clinical: Social Science Learning in Clinical Education. The Midwifery Way: A National Forum on Reflecting on Midwifery Regulation in Canada. Atlantic Centre for Excellence in Women’s Health. Dalhousie University. Halifax, NS, July 2004.
- Career Midwifery Research Grant, Association of Ontario Midwives, 2018
- Teaching about Diversity Fund, Learning and Teaching Office, Ryerson University, 2016
- Aboriginal Curriculum Development Fund, Aboriginal Education Council, Ryerson University, 2016
- Teaching about Diversity Fund, Learning and Teaching Office, Ryerson University, 2013
- Midwifery Education Program Research Grant, Ryerson University, 2012
- SRC Travel Grant, Ryerson University, 2012
- Deans’ Teaching Award, Faculty of Community Services, Ryerson University, 2011
- New Faculty SRC Development Award, Ryerson University,
- SRC Travel Grant Ryerson University, 2010
- Summer Research Assistant Award, Ryerson University, 2010
- Fall/Winter Research Assistant Award, Ryerson University, 2009/10
- Summer Research Assistant Award, Ryerson University, 2009
- Fall/Winter Research Assistant Award, Ryerson University, 2005/6
- CIHR Summer Research Assistant, Ryerson University, 2005
- SRC Travel Grant, Ryerson University, 2004
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Doctoral Fellowship, 1993-97