Skip to main content
Faculty of Community Services

Helping a student access counselling

Ryerson’s Centre for Student Development and Counselling can provide you with support on student issues through consultation and referrals.


If you are concerned about the emotional or physical safety of a student please call 416-979-5195 and ask to speak with one of the counsellors to consult about the best course of action.

We also have professional counsellors at the Faculty of Community services. Faculty and staff can contact Joanna Holt at ext. 4814 or by email at to consult with a professional counsellor within the faculty.

Urgent referrals

Each day two hours (typically at 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.) are allocated for students who urgently need to be seen. To access an ON CALL appointment on behalf of a student in crisis, please call the reception desk at 416-979-5195 to arrange for the first available spot and let them know the nature of the crisis with which you are dealing. Do feel welcome to walk the student to the Centre for Student Development and Counselling offices if you think that would be helpful.

Other ways to help

Visit the Centre for Student Development and Counselling website for additional information on:

  • referring a student
  • identifying and responding to students in distress
  • what to do in a crisis