Welcome to the Advanced Inorganic & Synthetic Materials Lab
Our research lab focuses on the synthesis of light and moisture structurally stabilized polystannanes and quaternary onium antimicrobials for glass, metals, and plastics.
We are always looking to recruit undergraduate thesis students, graduate students at the MSc or PhD level, post-doctoral fellows, or volunteers. If you are interested in pursuing one of these positions with this lab, please contact Dr. Daniel Foucher.
Lab Code of Conduct
Our goal is to maintain a respectful and inclusive work environment to conduct research and to provide quality mentorship and learning experiences. To do this, all members of our lab will abide by the following Code of Conduct (adapted from the Evenden Lab, external link)
Respect shared work spaces
Follow all safety procedures
No discrimination or harassment
Acknowledge and learn from mistakes
Featured in the News
- October 21st, 2021: Link to Interview, external link – Dr. Foucher answers questions about antiviral fashion with Nina Kharey from the Canadian company Nonie in their blog post "What is "Antiviral" Material and How Does it Affect COVID-19?"
- February 9th, 2021: Link to Interview – Dr. Bougherara discusses her recent research in next-generation joints while also referencing two former papers published in collaboration with Dr. Foucher
- May 18th, 2020: Link to Interview – Dr. Foucher talks about his 2019 paper on small molecule sulfonamide-containing antimicrobial coatings, which was selected as part of the Editor's Collection of RSC Advances
- March 31st, 2020: Link to Interview – Dr. Foucher, Dr. Gossage and Dr. McWilliams reflect on working together with other members of the Faculty of Science to donate gloves, masks, lab gowns and goggles to St. Michael's Hospital, Women's College Hospital and Sunnybrook Hospital during the Covid-19 shutdown
- March 30th, 2020: Link to Interview – Dr. Foucher talks about working with Dr. McWilliams, Dr. Gossage, Rob Denning and Miriam de Jong to donate gloves to St. Michael's Hospital, Women's College Hospital and Sunnybrook Hospital during the inital shutdown caused by the Covid-19 pandemic
- October 18th, 2019: Link to Interview – Members of the Advanced Inorganic and Synthetic Materials Lab were in attendance at the Nobel Prize Inspiration Initiative featuring Nobel Laureate Martin Chalfie and VIP guest John Polanyi
- December 31st, 2017: Link to Interview – Jeffrey Pau's paper on synthesizing light- and moisture-stable polystannanes is selected as Paper of the Month on the Faculty of Science website