Virtual Global Learning
What is Virtual Global Learning (VGL)?
Virtual Global Learning is a term used at Ryerson to describe student-facing learning opportunities that allow you to engage in online, collaborative, intercultural learning with peers from across the world. Virtual Global Learning opportunities allow students, like yourself, to:
- engage with global perspectives and develop intercultural skills,
- learn how to be flexible and adaptable, as it requires working across time zones, learning environments, languages, and perspectives,
- build your global networks,
- gain important career-ready skills in digital collaboration and communication across diverse local contexts.
Remember, Ryerson is already home to diverse perspectives and cultures. While projects like these often push us to engage with peers across the world, don't forget that many of your peers here at home bring global perspectives to the classroom. Don't be shy to engage with international students and others from different backgrounds, challenge yourself to work collaboratively outside of your normal social groups, and recognize that the opportunity to learn from global perspectives is all around us if we make the effort to engage and learn.
Virtual Global Learning Info Sessions
We're offering several info sessions over the next two weeks to give an overview of the different opporunities available to students this semester. The dates and times are listed below:
|Session 1||Tue, Oct 13||3:00 - 4:00 PM||Session 1 Registration, external link|
|Session 2||Wed, Oct 14||1:00 - 2:00 PM||Session 2 Registration, external link|
|Session 3||Mon, Oct 19||10:00 - 11:00 AM||Session 3 Registration, external link|
|Session 4||Thur, Oct 22||2:00 - 3:00 PM||Session 4 Registration, external link|
Ryerson International Virtual Global Learning Initiatives for 2020/2021:
Imagining Urban Futures in a Post-COVID World
Ryerson University is part of the WC2 International Network , external linkthat brings together top universities located in the heart of major world cities to address contemporary urban issues. This year the WC2 network is launching an interdisciplinary, collaborative and virtual project, inviting undergraduate students from participating universities of the network to join, including members from Australia, Brazil, UK, Mexico and U.S. Participation in the project will provide students with the opportunity to:
- expand their global network and gain skills in online intercultural collaboration,
- join a cross-university team with students from across the network, external link,
- select a topic of interest based on the WC2 theme, external links and develop a group project that will be presented to top academics in the field,
- enrol in a RMIT microcredential - Working with Global Clients Online, external link,
- recieve a WC2 Certificate of Participation,
- participate in two workshops offered by Common Purpose, external link as part of the program,
- present (virtually or in person) at next year’s WC2 conference (for top selected projects only).
Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to engage with students from major cities across the world.
Applications will be opening soon. Submit your expression of interest by October 30th, 2020. Team building begins at the beginning of November, while final project completion is scheduled for March 16th, 2021.
Application Deadline Extended to October 30th!
Coventry University Virtual World Tour
Coventry University, one of Ryerson’s UK based partners, is launching their brand-new initiative titled “Virtual World Tour”. Starting on 12th October for 10 weeks, participants will have the chance to virtually visit 25 destinations including, among others, Egypt, South Korea, Dubai, U.S. and South Africa. The tour provides participants an opportunity to gain cultural insights, share their experience and perspectives plus engage in live webinars and industry visits. Students from partner universities across the world will participate, sharing their unique insight about their home regions and communities.
- Access to live webinars by academic teams from across the world,
- Virtual industry visits,
- Language taster sessions delivered by Coventry’s Global Languages teaching team,
- LinkedIn Learning sessions to gain specific skills linked to the Virtual World Tour,
- Global Leaders Programme sessions focused on developing your collaborative skills,
- Opportunity to build your professional network with student’s across the world,
- Participation certificate from Coventry University.
The Virtual World Tour is available on Open Moodle, free of cost, and open to all students (no application process required). Simply enrol and choose the activities you would like to participate in at your leisure. For full instructions see Coventry’s enrolment guide, external link.
Virtual Global Learning Across Campus:
Note that specific Faculties and academic programs will be developing their own Virtual Global Learning Initiatives for students. See, for example, FCAD’s Global Campus Studio. Check in with your program and follow faculty and department newsletters and emails for more information about unique opportunities available to you!