Read Gmail Messages on Other Email Clients
We recommend using Gmail and other G Suite apps on the web in Google Chrome because of, but not limited to, the following reasons:
- The web-based search engine in Gmail is powerful and much faster than using email clients. Use the drop-down “show search options” by clicking on the downward pointing arrow inside the search field.
- Gmail in a web browser works seamlessly with the other G Suite apps (Calendar, Drive and Docs, etc.). It is easy to navigate between Apps.
- Since Gmail and G Suite were designed to be used in a browser, new features will always be available using the browser.
- You will be able to take advantage of the label functionality (compared to folders in other mail clients). Labels are a powerful tool for organizing mail, with the ability to apply multiple labels to messages, for easier retrieval.
- You will be able to take advantage of the side panel and use G Suite apps side by side, external link.
Here are some common mail clients and set-up instructions for your Ryerson Gmail Account.
Note: During migration, if you choose to set up an email client, we suggest not attempting to change your folder structure or rename any folders within the mail client until your Ryerson migration is complete as this may interfere with the migration.