Read Gmail Messages on Other Email Clients
We recommend using Gmail and other G Suite apps on the web in Google Chrome because of, but not limited to, the following reasons:
- The web-based search engine in Gmail is powerful and much faster than using email clients. Use the drop-down “show search options” by clicking on the downward pointing arrow inside the search field.
- Gmail in a web browser works seamlessly with the other G Suite apps (Calendar, Drive and Docs, etc.). It is easy to navigate between Apps.
- Since Gmail and G Suite were designed to be used in a browser, new features will always be available using the browser.
- You will be able to take advantage of the label functionality (compared to folders in other mail clients). Labels are a powerful tool for organizing mail, with the ability to apply multiple labels to messages, for easier retrieval.
- You will be able to take advantage of the side panel and use G Suite apps side by side, external link.
Here are some common mail clients and set-up instructions for your Ryerson Gmail Account.
If you don't use 2-Step Verification, you might need to allow less secure apps to access your account, external link. To do so,
- Open Google Chrome and sign into your Ryerson Gmail.
- On the top right corner, click on your account, Manage your Google Account.
- Select Security on the left panel.
- Scroll down to "Less secure app access".
- If you wish to proceed, turn on "Less secure app access".