You are now in the main content area
Sync G Suite to Your Apple iOS Device
When you set up your Apple iOS device (your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch), you will notice there is the option to add an account via Gmail or MS Exchange. It may seem counterintuitive to select MS Exchange instead of Gmail, but Exchange offers some features not offered by the Gmail set up. Here’s a comparison:
Contacts (*includes option to sync secondary calendars, using Google Sync)
iOS Notes (**will only synchronize your personal or ‘primary’ calendar)
How to Sync G Suite to Your Apple iOS Device
Make sure you have already generated your Google Token and have it handy to enter at a later step.
1. Enable IMAP, external link in Gmail. Don't forget to click Save Changes when you're done.
1. Open the Settings app on your Apple iOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.)
2. Click on Mail, Contacts and Calendars.
4. Click on Microsoft Exchange.
5. Enter your information as follows.
6. Email: your full Ryerson Gmail address, including @ryerson.ca
7. Username: also your full @ryerson.ca email address
8. Password: Your Google Token (created in step 1)
1. Your iOS device will attempt to verify this setup for a moment and will then add another field for “Server”.
2. Server: enter m.google.com
3. Click Next and your iOS device should successfully verify your account information.
1. On the next screen, you will have the option to choose which items to sync, from your Mail, Contacts and Calendars. Simply tap the button for any option whose status you want to switch between ON and OFF.
2. When you turn Synchronization on, you may be prompted to choose how to handle the items already on your phone. You can choose Keep on My iPhone (recommended to keep your existing contacts) or Delete.
3. If you choose to keep the item types on your phone you may get a message warning you that you may see duplicate items. Click Keep on My iPhone again if you are sure.
4. Once you have chosen how you want to handle each item type, click Next and the account will be added to your iOS device.
Advanced Option: How to Use iOS Delete Settings with Google Sync
When you "delete" a message from your Apple mobile device, by default, it will archive the message but NOT put it in the Trash as you might expect.
To truly delete the message, you must select Enable "Delete Email as Trash" for this device in your Google Sync settings as shown below:
- On the Google log in page, enter your full Ryerson email address in the username field. Do not enter a password on this page.
- Click Sign In. You will be redirected to CAS.
- Sign in with your my.ryerson user name and password.
- Select the device.
- Select Enable "Delete Email as Trash" for this device.
Save the change. You will be all set then.
Advanced Option: Sync Multiple Calendars Using Google Sync
If you have more than one calendar in your Google account, or if others have shared calendars with you, you will need to use Google Sync in order to synchronize them to your Apple iOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch).
Google Sync can sync up to 25 Google Calendars with the Calendar app on your iOS device.
How to Sync Specific Calendars Using Google Sync
- On your mobile device, open the Safari browser app and go to https://m.google.com/sync/settings, external link.
Note: You need to have the language set to English (US) to sync multiple calendars.
- Click Sign in with your Google Account.
- Email: Your full Ryerson Gmail address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Password: leave this blank.
- Click the blue Sign In button. You will be brought to Ryerson’s Central Authentication Service login page.
- Enter your my.ryerson username and your my.ryerson password (NOT the Google Token) and click the blue Login button.
- Next, you will see a list of Apple iOS devices that you have set up to access your Ryerson Google account.
- Click on the name of a device from the list. Bookmark this page so you can return to it easily.
- On this page, you will see a list of My Calendars (calendars that belong to you) and Shared Calendars (calendars that have been shared with you). Check the boxes for any calendar you would like to sync to your Apple iOS device. Please remember that you will need to return to this page if you create any new calendars, or if any new calendars are shared with you.
- Once you have selected all of the calendars you wish to sync, click the Save button at the bottom of the screen.
Experiencing setup or sync issues? See Google’s Known Issues page. Please keep in mind that Ryerson’s setup may differ from the basic Google setup.
Having problems with a message still showing up in your Inbox after you selected the 'Enable Delete Email As Trash option'? Click to see the answer in our FAQ item: Why does a message I archived or deleted show up again in my Inbox?