To request a generic account:
- Log in to my.ryerson.ca.
- Under the Self Service section, click Guest and Generic Accounts.
- Click Request Generic Account, complete and submit the form.
- Computing and Communications Services (CCS) will verify the request with your authorization contact by email before creating the generic account sign-in credentials.
- The CCS Help desk will notify you when the account has been created. Please allow 24 hours for the creation.
If any account changes need to take place, contact the CCS Help Desk at email@example.com or 416-979-5000, ext. 556806.
Since generic accounts do not have access to my.ryerson and the “Apps” tab, in order to log into Gmail or other Google Apps for this generic account you must do the following:
- Visit: gmail.ryerson.ca (or calendar.ryerson.ca to go directly to the calendar)
- Log in with the generic account’s username and my.ryerson password
* If you do not know the password for this generic account, you (as the owner of the account) can reset it by visiting my.ryerson.ca with your own username and password and by clicking on “Manage My Online Resources: Self-serve password change and resource requests” in the Self Serve Section. Here, you will be able to change the password for all generic accounts that you are listed as the owner for.
Before you can manage your generic account’s email (or any other employee's email), you must first gain access to the Gmail account, as follows. You as the owner of the account can do the following:
Congratulations! You now have access to your generic account’s Gmail account. You can flip between accounts by clicking on your own account name, drop down arrow in the top right corner of your Gmail account.
Repeat the steps above to add any other person delegate access to this generic account’s email.
Note: There may be a delay of up to 1 hour before the delegation changes take effect.
If you use an application that sends email messages, the application can be configured to use a generic account via authenticated SMTP. Here’s how to get set up:
- Download and install a Google Token for generic accounts.
- Next, log in to your Gmail account and click the Google Account icon (with Ryerson’s logo) in the top-right corner to bring up a menu.
- Click the Google Account button and a new window will open.
- On the left menu, click Security and scroll to the Less secure app access section.
- Click the Turn on access (not recommended) link followed by the toggle button next to the Allow less secure apps: OFF setting
Once the above steps are complete, the settings in your app can be configured as follows:
Server host name: smtp.gmail.com
Authentication: Google Token
Note, there are limitations to using generic accounts to send emails within applications, especially if a large number of emails are expected to go out in a single day. If this is the case, it’s recommended you seek an alternative solution for setting up email function in your application. For example:
- If the application is hosted within Ryerson, please contact the CCS Help Desk to configure your settings via Relay
- If the application is hosted on the cloud, please explore the possibility of utilizing the cloud server to send email.
There might be some occasions and specific generic accounts where you need emails to appear to be sent directly from your generic account without showing your address at all. Here's how:
1. Log in to the generic Gmail account.
2. Select Settings from the gear drop-down.
3. Click the Accounts tab.
4. Under Grant access to your account section, go to Sender information.
5. Choose Show this address only... option to hide the ("sent by...") information.
6. Click Save Changes at the bottom of the settings page.
If you don’t want to log into a separate account each time you send an email from your generic account, you can set it up so that you can change the from field when sending an email on your main account.
1. The owner of a generic account must log into the Google Calendar for this generic account (visit calendar.ryerson.ca directly) Note: If you do not know the password for this generic account, it can be reset only by the owner of this account. The owner can change it by visiting my.ryerson.ca logging in with his or her own username and password, clicking on the "Manage my Online Resources" link in the Self Serve section where they can find the option to change the password.
2. In the generic account’s calendar, go to the My calendars section, and Click More> Settings & sharing.
- Open the Contacts Manager, external link. Make sure you are in the generic accounts Contact Manager. If not, please try signing in using incognito mode in Chrome, external link.
- At the top left, click Menu icon > More > Delegate access.
- In the Invite people box, type the name or address of the person you want to give permission to manage your contacts.
- You can enter up to 25 names, separated by commas. You can only delegate your contacts to other Ryerson Google Account holders.
- Click Send. The users you invited can now access your Contacts group.
- Add new contacts with the Create contact or New contact buttons
- Edit contacts in the delegated contacts list
- Delete contacts from the delegated contacts list
- Print contact information
- Import contacts
- Export or forward contacts
- Find and merge duplicates
- Undo changes
- Manage labels for delegated contacts
- Get delegated contacts to autocomplete in Gmail or other Google services
More information on Contacts delegation can be found here: https://support.google.com/contacts/answer/2590392, external link