Creating Bookable Appointment Slots in Google Calendar
How to Use
- Open your Ryerson Google Calendar by logging into my.ryerson.ca, clicking the Apps tab, and selecting "Google Calendar".
- Make sure that you're in Week view or any Day view which can be selected in the upper right hand corner of your calendar.
- Click anywhere in the calendar. In the event box that pops up, click Appointment slots.
- Enter the details, including a title, such as “Professor [Professor Name] Office Hours”. By default, your own personal Ryerson Google calendar is selected. Booked appointment slots appear right on your personal calendar as regular events.
- Click Edit details to add more information, like a location, pick a block of time you want to offer to others, and choose how many slots to split it up into. You can always change it later, add description, or make the appointment block repeat , external link(for example weekly).
To add others that need to attend the appointments, click the Add Guests field. For example, an instructor might want the teaching assistant to be there during office hours. This is where the instructor would add others that need to attend.
Note: Do not invite your students here. Anyone that you add here will be invited to every appointment throughout the block of time, and will also get an email each time someone reserves an appointment. See next section to learn how students can reserve an available appointment slot.
After you've set up appointment slots, you can invite your students to book a time.
To invite people to book appointments, don't invite them to the appointment slot. Instead, use the URL (link) to send them to your appointment slots page:
- Click the appointment slots event to open it.
- Copy and paste the calendar's appointment page link. Locate the line that says “This calendar's appointment page” followed by a long link. You can preview this page by clicking on the link yourself. This is the link to your public appointment page. Anyone who has this link can book an available appointment slot.
- Send this link to people who you want to invite to book an appointment. You can invite your students individually, or use a Google Group to distribute to all of your class at once with a single email address (similar to a mailing list).
Note: students will not see your other scheduled events on your own calendar. Everyone previewing the calendar’s appointment page with the link will see their own schedule overlapped so they know which appointment slot would work best for them based on their existing personal schedule.
Your appointment block will show as a single event on your calendar and the calendars of anyone you invite. You can see below that the appointment block is different from other events by the grid symbol in the upper left corner.
Here is how the appointment slots appear on your own calendar as an instructor:
Here is how the appointment slots appear to your students on the appointments page link you send to them (2p - 7p in 30 minute slots).
Once a student selects an available time slot, it will be unavailable to other students. The instructor will receive an event notification email when a student takes an appointment slot.
Here is how the appointment calendar link appears once a student selects a time slot. Students will no longer see the taken slot.
- Students will visit the link for the appointment page provided by the instructor.
- On the appointment page, student should click an available appointment button and click Save.
- If a student or instructor wants to cancel the appointment at a later date, he or she must delete or decline the appointment event from his or her calendar. After this, others can then book an appointment in that time slot.
Get more help with using Google Calendar appointment slots, external link.