Why G Suite?
During the 2011-2012 academic year Ryerson engaged in a consultation process that led to the adoption of G Suite for Education as Ryerson's online collaboration platform. More information about the consultation, opens in new window is available. You have recently received your new G Suite account and can sign in and begin using Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs, and other apps, immediately.
G Suite is a web-based messaging and collaboration applications that Google hosts on their servers. Google provides these applications as a "service," rather than as software you have to download and install. To access these applications, you normally use a web browser on any computer that's connected to the Internet. You can also use G Suite on mobile devices. Look for Google's Gmail app in your mobile device app store.
During the consultation process, we looked for an email and collaboration solution that would provide the following benefits:
- Access to services at anytime — G Suite apps are designed to be highly available often exceeding 99.99% availability throughout the year. Google's Gmail, calendar, and other applications provide a rich set of features that are accessible using any modern Web browser. You should be able to access email, contacts, and calendar from any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection, from anywhere in the world.
- More collaboration features — It was important to provide everyone in the University with a rich collaboration platform. We wanted to make sure students, faculty, staff, alumni, and others could all easily work together as needed. G Suite not only provide email and calendar services but include Google Drive for file storage in the cloud, Google Docs for creating and sharing documents, spreadsheets and presentations, Google Hangouts, and Google Groups.
- Better Security and Privacy — G Suite apps are provided under a written agreement between Ryerson and Google that offers more protection for privacy than Google's consumer services. Under the agreement Google makes no claims to own University or personal data hosted by Google and only indexes or scans the data for the purpose of providing the service itself. For example, automated indexing your email so you can search it quickly. There is no data mining. Google's level of investment in securing their services is greater than anything Ryerson could afford. Security is an essential prerequisite of privacy. For more information please see our FAQ, opens in new window and Google's security overview, external link, opens in new window. Ryerson has configured G Suite to minimize the sharing of information by default. For example only employee information is included in the global address book. Student information is not included by default.
- Lower infrastructure costs — Compared to Ryerson’s previous email system, the cost of hosting Gmail (and a broad range of collaborative applications like those freely available from Google), is much lower for much more capability.
- Ability to consolidate our platforms — Limited capacity in Ryerson's old email and calendar systems (RMail and GroupWise) led to some departments hosting their own email systems. G Suite provides those departments with the option to reduce their costs by migrating to G Suite.
- Customized solutions — By spending less time managing locally hosted services Ryerson can leverage the G Suite platform to provide a more customized experience. For example, we have integrated course schedules into faculty and student calendars - something that was not available in the past.
- Highly scalable environment — With G Suite, our email capacity will grow automatically as Ryerson grows and we'll avoid the complexity of managing and routinely upgrading internal systems
- Lots of storage — You get unlimited online combined storage for your email and Google Drive so you can keep all of your email online. You'll no longer need to worry about deleting messages or saving them in offline folders.
- Enhanced message organization and retrieval — With Gmail, you'll spend less time managing folders and searching for messages. For example, you can add one or more tags, or "labels," to your messages to organize and store them more efficiently. And with the Google-powered search feature, you can find any message quickly and easily, whether it's in your Inbox or stored in your message archive.
- Easier calendar sharing — Google Calendar lets you and your team quickly and easily share your calendars with each other and specify the details you want to show. Calendar sharing is a great way to keep each other informed about your schedules. Now it's easier than ever to find out if someone is in a meeting, on a business trip, or on vacation.
- Real-time collaboration — Using Google Docs, you can create documents, spreadsheets, presentations, drawings, and more, that you and your team can view and edit at the same time. You can still use Microsoft Office as needed, but now you'll have more options for storing and collaborating on your documents.
- Easy-to-build team web sites — With Google Sites, your team has the ability to quickly publish a robust internal web site on which to gather all sorts of shared information, such as documents, spreadsheets, presentations, files, and videos. You can even embed Google calendars, discussion forums, and other gadgets on your site!
Learn More About G Suite
Computing and Communications Services is pleased to offer G Suite workshops open to all employees. G Suite have been widely adopted across the university for the many ways they facilitate modern work culture and communication. Benefits include real-time collaboration, unlimited file storage and the ability to access all your content from any device with an internet connection. These interactive workshops provide participants with the opportunity for hands-on learning, leading to improved efficiency and productivity for both individuals and teams.
Visit the Learning Events Calendar, opens in new window to browse current offerings and register for a workshop.
Customizable individual or team workshops
If you have specific training needs that are not covered by the G Suite workshops, you can request a customized workshop for yourself or your team. Please contact the CCS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-979-5000, ext. 6806 with the details of your request.