The Master of Building Science program targets students who are interested in deepening their knowledge and skills in the areas of building performance, measurement, building renewal, indoor environment quality and comfort, construction processes, testing/modelling, forensic investigation, and innovation, and how they are relevant to sustainable design. The program has a strong interdisciplinary character and is open to candidates from a variety of educational and professional backgrounds, such as architecture, building science, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, landscape architecture, and construction. Students’ exposure to colleagues with different professional and cultural backgrounds is an essential ingredient of the program.
Applications will be considered on a continual basis as soon as complete applications, including supporting documents, are received. You are strongly encouraged to submit your application as soon as possible once we start accepting them on mid-October 2016. Please visit the YSGS admissions website for information about how to apply.
The first consideration deadline is January 22, 2018. We will continue to accept applications until the program is closed and no longer accepting applications.
Note: Fall 2018 admission is open
Minimum Academic Requirement
• Graduated from a four year approved undergraduate degree from a recognized institution, with a minimum grade point average (GPA) or equivalent of 3.00/4.33 (B)
• Achieved a minimum of 3.00/4.33 (B) in the last two years of study
Possession of the minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance. Preference will be given to applicants with the best qualifications.
Preparing an Application
The documents required for your application package are listed below. Follow the links to receive full details on the necessary steps to complete the documents. Incomplete applications will NOT be processed until all documents are received.
- Application Submission Summary
- Letters of Recommendation*
- English Language Proficiency
*Applicants are required to submit at least two letters of recommendation (at least one academic recommendation). Applications who have graduated from the Ryerson B.Arch.Sci. program in the last 4 years, or who will graduate in 2017, are not required to submit letters of reference. These applicants must type in the following e-mail into the referee section of their application: email@example.com.
Program Specific Documents
In addition to the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School at Ryerson, the Masters in Building Science program requires the following materials:
- Statement of intent: You are required to submit a brief written statement of about 500 words outlining your interests and experience that are relevant to this program, areas of research/study that you may wish to focus on, and reasons for applying.
- Dossier: The Dossier is a collection of your work that demonstrates your competence level in aspects of building science. It should demonstrate a capacity to succeed in the program and a level of knowledge in core areas of building science. You should include examples of work, written papers, designs, summaries of research projects, and any other information that demonstrates your level of building science ability. Your contribution to any group work included should be clearly stated. The dossier will adhere to the following format:
1. Include your name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, and other contact information on the first page.
2. Page two is to be the completed and signed Statement of Authorship.
3. The dossier must be presented in one PDF Adobe Acrobat document.
Ryerson University no longer accepts any hard copy application packages. Instructions on how to submit your documents electronically will be e-emailed to you automatically once you have completed the online application.