GRADTalks presents a wide range of expert speakers ranging from world-renowned academics to pioneers in industry and innovation, and leaders in government and policy. Speakers highlight the critical importance of graduate education in their professional experiences, and inspire and challenge graduate students to consider career pathways beyond their current degrees.
March 1, 2018
Stay tuned for details on the next GRADTalks!
Charting Your Career Journey
October 17, 2017
At this interactive session, grad students engaged in visioning activities and networking discussions to inform their professional development and career journeys.
- Where am I headed post-graduation?
- Where do I see myself in my future career?
- How do I hope to contribute to my community, society, profession, etc.?
- What are some cultural/intercultural aspects of the career experience?
- Dr. Martin Antony
- Lois Didyk
- Rebecca Dirnfeld
- Dr. Jasna Schwind
- Peter Haastrup
- Dr. Miljana Horvat
- Eno Hysi
- Dr. Vathsala Jayasuriya-Illesinghe
- Dr. Michael Kolios
- Curtis Maloley
February 28, 2017
At this fun and informative evening, our speakers shared tips and tools to help grad students achieve balance in their daily lives. There were prizes, a cooking demo, interactive fun and smoothies!
Topics included: tips for daily balance (time management); health and wellness resources at Ryerson; nutrition for students (cook an omelette in under two minutes!), and mindfulness relaxation.
- Maria Chaparro, Clinical Psychologist, Centre for Student Development and Counselling, Ryerson University
- Jacalyn Dryland, Registered Dietitian, Dufferin Area Family Health Team
- Juannittah Kamera, Health Promotion Programs Coordinator, Ryerson University
- Jasna Schwind, Associate Professor, Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing, Ryerson University
Professional Skills: Tools for Success after Grad School
October 25, 2016
Four expert panellists shared their thoughts on the importance of building essential professional skills, and what employers are looking for.
- Dale Carl, Associate Director, International Relations, & Director, MBA Graduate Studies, Ryerson University
- Barbara Crow, Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies, York University
- Caroline Konrad, Director, Career Centre, Ryerson University
- Nicholas Yee, AVP, Information Management Practice, Global Technology Office, Manulife Financial
Beyond the PhD: Career Pathways for Graduate Success
February 24, 2016
Four expert panellists shared their experiences and thoughts on career pathways for graduate students, followed by a Q-and-A session and networking reception.
- Rebecca Dirnfeld, Career Consultant, Ryerson University
- Jennifer Mactavish, Dean, Yeates School of Graduate Studies
- Jennifer Polk, Academic, Career and Life Coach, external,FromPhDtoLife.com
- Greg Singer, Director of Research Services, OCAD University
Secrets of a Successful Student-Supervisor Relationship
October 27, 2015
Five faculty members discussed their experiences and thoughts on the "Secrets of a Successful Student-Supervisor Relationship," followed by a Q & A session and networking reception.
- Michael Kolios, Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Studies, Faculty of Science
- Sri Krishnan, Associate Dean, Research and Development, Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
- Lynn Lavallee, Chair, Human Research Ethics Board; Associate Director, School of Social Work, Faculty of Community Services
- Janet Lum, Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Studies, Faculty of Arts
- Kelly MacKay, Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Programs, Ted Rogers School of Management
Imagine a Connected World with Privacy Built-in: Enter Privacy by Design
April 1, 2015
Dr. Anne Cavoukian, Executive Director of Ryerson's Privacy and Big Data Institute, spoke about "Privacy by Design" and the need for proactive privacy in our ever-connected and global world.
"If you value freedom, value privacy," Dr. Cavoukian told the audience at the spring GRADTalks lecture.
Disruption...nothing remains the same. Faster.
November 19, 2014
Nadir Mohamed, Distinguished CEO-in-Residence, Ryerson University, was the inaugural speaker in the GRADTalks Lecture Series. Mr. Mohamed spoke on the potential that all graduate students have for innovation and entrepreneurship, no matter what their discipline.
Nadir Mohamed, a former CEO and president of Rogers Communications, is a highly regarded leader in the Canadian communications industry. During his 25-year career, Nadir held senior leadership roles at Canada's top communications companies, including Rogers, Telus, and BC Telecom.