The Dennis Mock Student Leadership Award
The Dennis Mock Student Leadership Awards recognize graduating students who have made outstanding voluntary extracurricular contributions to their school or academic program department, their faculty, or to Ryerson University as a whole. The awards acknowledge and encourage student participation in university affairs.
In naming the awards after Dennis Mock, Ryerson recognizes his commitment to higher education. His leadership and dedication, demonstrated during his 28 years at the university, are qualities embodied in students chosen to receive this award - students committed to ‘making a difference’. This is a prestigious, non-monetary award.
Students may be nominated for one category per nomination. The selection committee may choose to reassign a nomination to a different award category, based on the best fit with the evidence. Students may receive only one Dennis Mock Student Leadership Award in their academic career at Ryerson (i.e., undergraduate award winners may not be nominated again during graduate studies).
- University-wide category - where the extra-curricular contribution has been to the whole of Ryerson. A maximum of ten students may be selected by a committee with university-wide representation. All recipients will be approved by the Program Chair/Director.
- Faculty-wide category - where the extra-curricular contribution has been to the faculty. A maximum of one student per faculty may be selected, including Programs for 50+ members at The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education, by the Deans’ selection committees. The Deans’ selections will be accepted automatically.
- Program-wide category - where the extra-curricular contribution has been to the school or academic program department. A maximum of one student per school or academic program will be selected by the Deans’ selection committees. The Deans’ selections will be accepted automatically.
- Students who graduated in Fall 2018 or will be graduating in Spring 2019 (the current academic year)*
- In a full-time or part-time Ryerson degree program*
- Clear academic standing at the time of nomination*
*Exception applies to Programs for 50+ members nominated for the faculty-wide award.
The value of the student’s contribution, rather than an office held, should be the major criterion considered. A nominee's volunteer contributions may take the form of any one, or combination, of the following:
- leadership on committees, or influence on student or university affairs
- improvement in the quality of life of students
- encouragement of fellow students to become involved in extracurricular activities; although external involvement is encouraged, activities should be focused on the Ryerson campus or community
- contribution to the sense of community at Ryerson
Any members of the university community - including students, faculty, staff or alumni, as well as self-nominations - are welcome to submit nominations for the award in a category. All nominations must be consented to by the student and university-wide recipients must be endorsed by the student’s academic program department.
Please complete the google formGoogle Form nomination form, external link in full as incomplete submissions will not be reviewed.
SASO will set up Google Drive folders where ratings sheets can be accessed and subsequent summary sheets will be submitted.
Deans’ selection committees
We suggest that the committees be assembled so the Dean or designate acts as the Chair of the committee, plus one Chair/Director and three faculty and/or staff members, for a total of five committee members. It is also suggested that the Chair/Director and the faculty/staff members should come from different academic program departments.
SASO will forward nomination forms to appropriate Chairs/Directors for approval once university-wide recipients have been decided.
University selection committee
Members come from Senate’s Awards and Ceremonials Committee: Provost or designate who acts as Chair of the committee, one Dean, one Chair/Director, and two faculty members. There are five members total.
The third annual Student Experience Awards will take place Thursday, March 28th, 2019. Announcements and presentation arrangements will follow from SASO. As space is limited, this is an invitation-only event.
Digital Media MDM, YSGS
Sadeem Munawar Qureshi
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering PhD, Faculty of Engineering and Architectural Science
F+PPCM, Faculty of Communication and Design
Urban Planning MPl, Faculty of Community Services
Documentary Media MFA, Faculty of Communication and Design
Applied Mathematics MSc, Faculty of Science
Psychology PhD, Faculty of Arts
Psychology PhD, Faculty of Arts
MBA, Ted Rogers School of Management
Molecular Science PhD, Faculty of Science
Electrical and Computer Engineering MASc, Faculty of Engieering and Architectural Science