Join us for our upcoming program information session:
November 28, 6:00-8:00pm
Rogers Communications Centre
80 Gould Street, Toronto
Room: RCC 103
We are accepting applications for Fall 2018.
Recommended Deadline: January 22, 2018.
For further information on the online application and the English language proficiency requirements please see Graduate Admissions.
Minimum Academic Requirement
- Four-year honours Bachelor's degree, or equivalent
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 / 4.33 (B), or equivalent, in the final half of the program
Although previous journalism experience is not a prerequisite for admission, students who have previously done journalistic work are strongly encouraged to submit clippings or other examples for assessment.
Students who already have a Bachelor's degree in Journalism are advised to contact the program office prior to applying to the MJ program (email@example.com or 416-979-5000 x2783).
NOTE: The Accelerated Stream of the Master of Journalism program is no longer available.
Information on how to apply can be found at https://www.ryerson.ca/graduate/admissions. Please see information on journalism specific requirements below:
Statement of Interest
You are required to submit a brief statement (about 500 words in length) that should address the following:
- your reasons for pursuing graduate study in Journalism;
- the research interest(s) you may wish to pursue in your major project;
- how your previous studies and experience have prepared you for the MJ program; and
- your career objectives and how the MJ program relates to them.
Please submit an updated résumé and highlight how your previous studies and experiences have prepared you for graduate study at Ryerson University.
Letters of Recommendation
Two Letters of Recommendation are required for each application. The two recommendations should be from academic referees – former professors or research supervisors familiar with applicant’s abilities. One recommendation may be substituted with a professional letter from a previous employer.
You will be asked to complete the referee page on the online application form with their contact information including an active e-mail address. Your referee will be contacted electronically within 2-3 business days of your application submission with further instructions.
- Applicants may submit a portfolio of published journalistic work (not fiction, academic or creative writing).
- Portfolio pieces, including scanned clippings, must be merged into one pdf file.
- A maximum of six items may be included.
- State clearly where and when each was published.
- If you are including online work, please provide the URL in your pdf portfolio document.
- We will also consider ONE video or audio item which has previously been broadcast. Applicants are strongly encouraged to use an online posting site for audio/video material. The URL should be included in the portfolio pdf document. If you are unable to post the work online you may also mail a hard copy to our Graduate Admissions Office (Graduate Admissions Office, Ryerson University, 350 Victoria St., Toronto, ON M5B 2K3). Note, do not send portfolio material to the Journalism program office.
- Important Note: The admissions online portal will only accept one (pdf) portfolio file.
*Note: A portfolio is not necessary for admission to the Master of Journalism program but strongly recommended. If you are not submitting a portfolio, the online application system will still require you to submit a pdf file under this item type. In this case you may submit a page with the text, "Portfolio not available."
Seymour Schulich Graduate Scholarship in Financial Journalism
If you wish to be considered, please check the Seymour Schulich Graduate Scholarship in Financial Journalism [PDF] document to see if you are eligible.
To be considered for this award a separate award application letter and two to three samples of work in the area of financial journalism must be emailed to the Journalism Graduate Program Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Matt Walcoff Memorial Award
If you wish to be considered, please check the Matt Walcoff Memorial Award [PDF] document to see if you are eligible.
To be considered for this award a separate award application letter must be submitted to the Graduate Journalism program office at email@example.com
To review a listing of all required admission documents, please refer to the Document Checklist.