Skip to main content
Joint Masters and Doctoral Program at Ryerson in Communication and Culture
link to Ryerson University Communication and Culture homepagelink to York University Communication and Culture homepage

Note: the following information applies only to Ryerson-enrolled students.

Tuition Fees

For full-time and part-time fees breakdown, please visit Ryerson University School of Graduate Studies.

Financial Support

Eligible full-time applicants who submit a complete application by the first consideration application deadline are automatically considered for internal scholarships. Applicants are eligible to compete for graduate scholarships offered by their university of registration. The Ryerson Graduate Scholarship is an entrance scholarship for which students with an average of at least A- or equivalent may compete. Ryerson University funding information for graduate students can be obtained from the Ryerson University School of Graduate Studies.

Full-time students are also eligible for a very limited number of paid assistantships, involving teaching, laboratory or resource centre supervision, and/or research. Occasionally additional summer funding may be available in association with individual faculty research activities.

The Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS)(done using internal forms from admission, no separate application) and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) also offer scholarships for which students are encouraged to apply. These require separate applications and need to be completed one year in advance of admission.

For York University Funding Information for graduate studies, please visit York University Faculty of Graduate Studies.

Please see the FAQ section below for more details and common questions on Financial issues for ComCult students.

Balance of Degree Fee

The length of a program is defined by the graduate program into which a student is admitted. This predetermines the minimum total academic fees that a student must pay prior to graduation. Fee information from the Ryerson University Graduate Studies website

Financial Questions

Where can I find tuition / fees information?

The links for this information is on the Graduate studies website, left column ‘Fees’.

How do I pay my tuition fees after paying the initial deposit?

There are instructions for payment on the Student Fees websites.

What is the average grade required for funding?

Applicants require a grade of A minus (3.67/4.33) to be eligible for internal scholarship consideration (the RGS/Ryerson Graduate Scholarship).  Those with a B+ maybe considered for internal funding depending on the annual scholarship budget for the program.

What are the fees?

Graduate fees are assessed by the term (not by the number of courses) and by your graduate status (full-time or part-time). Fees information and schedules are approved by the university’s Board of Governors and published on the Yeates School of Graduate Studies website. See:

See related question on the policy of continuous enrolment

What sort of financial support is available to graduate students?

The Yeates School of Graduate Studies offers two internal scholarships; the Ryerson Graduate Scholarship (RGS) which based on academic scholarship and the Graduate Development Award (GDA) which is based on merit. There are no additional application forms required for funding consideration. All eligible applicants will be considered for the RGS and GDA as part of the admission process.  Starting in 2013, Ryerson has a set number of Ontario Government Awards (OGS) to distribute to its qualified incoming and returning students.  Application instructions for OGS awards is available on the Grad studies funding page.  Visit the YSGS funding page for further details and a listing and description of internal and external student funding.

OSAP and Government Funding Programs. You are eligible to apply for OSAP funding if you are enrolled in a Full Time Graduate Program.

Do I need to apply for a scholarship?

No. All full-time eligible applicants are considered for the Ryerson Graduate Scholarship (RGS) and/or the Ryerson Graduate Award (RGA).

There is no funding consideration for part-time students.

How do I apply for GA and TA positions?

Graduate Assistantships (GA), Teaching Assistantships (TA) and Research Assistantships (RA) are unionized positions as defined by the Collective Agreement between The Board of Governors of Ryerson University and CUPE, Local 3904, Unit 3, Teaching Assistants. See:

These positions are posted online on the university's 'Careers and Jobs' web page at If you are interested in a GA/RA position, apply directly online via the 'Careers and Jobs' web page.

Teaching departments and units will post notices alerting interested students of GA, TA and RA opportunities on a common bulletin board near their offices or on individual professor's office doors, so be sure to walk around the departments to see if there is anything of interest.