Media and Design Innovation PhD
Part of the Faculty of Communication and Design
- Completion of a master’s degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) or equivalent of 3.33/4.33 (B+)
- Statement of research interest
- Two letters of recommendation
- Two samples of work (one written and one example of your creative practice). For guidelines on other forms of support material, please contact the program director.
- English language proficiency requirement
More information on admission requirements. Due to the competitive nature of our programs, it is not possible to offer admission to everyone who applies that meets the minimum entrance requirements for the program.
Students are encouraged to submit applications prior to the first consideration date to increase their chances of securing financial support for their graduate studies. Applications received after the first consideration date will be accepted and reviewed based on spaces remaining in the program.
See application dates.
Research areas within the program are diverse and may include:
- creative technology development and prototyping
- curation and contemporary exhibition practices
- digital fashion design and fabrication
- experimental modes of storytelling and user interaction
- innovation in music production and distribution
- new models of journalistic dissemination
- numerous other areas of creative media practice
- university and college professors
- researcher-practitioners in digital media and design industries
- senior research scientists
- developers within industry-based research centres
- government and policy-related careers
Graduate Program Administrator
Telephone: 416-979-5000 ext. 552858