Admission to the PHCNP Certificate Program
To be considered for the Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner (PHCNP) Certificate program, you must meet the minimum requirements:
- A Master’s degree in Nursing
- A Bachelor’s degree in nursing, or its equivalent
- Minimum CGPA or equivalent of 3.00 (B) overall with 3.00 (B) average in the last two years or 20 graded courses of study from undergraduate nursing program.
- Equivalent of two years full-time nursing practice (3640 hours) within the past five years. Strong preference is given to candidates with continuous RN experience in a direct clinical practice setting.
We look for applicants who have good academic standing in nursing and non-nursing subjects. Strong preference is given to students with a 3.67 (A-) or above average in the final half of their undergraduate nursing program or last 20 one-term/semester courses.
How to Apply
Download the PHCNP Certificate Application Guide and Checklist [PDF] for complete instructions.
Download a "Sample" version of the Recommendations Form that identifies the criteria that referees are required to rank [PDF].
To complete the application process, you’ll need:
- To meet the Yeates School of Graduate Studies’ standard requirements for admission
- Proof of current registration or registration eligibility with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Language proficiency scores, if your undergraduate training was in a language other than English
- A Personal Essay of up to 3 pages
- Transcripts from each post-secondary institution you’ve attended
- A professional curriculum vitae
- Three confidential Letters of Recommendation
- A PHCNP Certificate Verification of Employment Hours Form [PDF]
When to Apply
Complete applications received by the posted first-consideration deadline date (normally January 19) are given priority for admissions and funding.
The program will continue to consider applications until the program is full or formally closes, which is normally in early June. Find out whether the program is still open here.
View key dates [PDF]