Tell your instructor as soon as conditions arise that are likely to affect your academic performance. If you plan to file an appeal, be sure to carefully follow the appeal procedures. Help is available.
You must let your instructor or the teaching or program department know as soon as circumstances arise that are likely to affect your academic performance. It is also your responsibility to try to resolve all course related issues with the instructor as soon as they occur and then, if needed, with the Chair/Director of the teaching department/school.
Failure to do so may jeopardize a later appeal.
- Grade Appeal: Submit your appeal to the teaching department/school that offered the course.
- Academic Standing Appeal: Submit your appeal to your program department/school.
You may file grade and academic standing appeals based on one or more specific grounds (reasons):
- Prejudice; and
- Procedural Error
Course Management may also be considered as grounds for grade (but not Academic Standing) appeals. Except for Procedural Error, you cannot introduce a new ground at higher appeal levels.
Consult PDF fileSenate Policy 152: Graduate Student Academic Consideration & Appeals Policy for detailed definitions of these grounds.
- Program Level: All appeals start at the Program Level.
- Faculty Level: Students who wish to appeal the decision of the Program must do so to the Dean of the Faculty.
- Senate Level: Students who wish to appeal the decision of the Faculty must do so to the Senate Appeals Committee. Decisions of the Senate Appeals Committee are final.
Consult the Significant Dates for Appeal deadlines. Timing is key – appeal deadlines are strictly enforced and you must submit the correct documentation and evidence. It is strongly recommended that you seek support and advice when filing an appeal.
See PDF fileSenate Policy 152 for detailed instructions, definitions, and procedures.
All graduate students are entitled to support from Academic Advocacy at the Ryerson Students’ Union, external link Phone: 416-979-5255 ext. 2322