You are now in the main content area

If You are in Crisis

In crisis and need immediate support?

9AM - 5PM Monday to Friday: Call Ryerson’s Centre for Student Development and Counselling at 416-979-5195

After 5PM and on weekends: Call the Peer Helpline Good2Talk at 1-866-925-5454

If you are in crisis and in need of immediate attention, please drop by the Centre (JOR 07) or call our receptionist at 416-979-5195 and indicate the urgent nature of your concern.  We have “on call” appointments available daily to respond to emergency situations. An emergency may involve your safety and well-being or that of another person being at risk including thoughts and plans about harming yourself or someone else.

If you are in distress and in need of help, don’t wait. If you are uncomfortable conveying the exact nature of your concern to our receptionist when you call or come in you can simply indicate where you are on a ten-point scale with 0 being not at all at risk to 10 being at immediate risk.

If you require assistance for an urgent concern outside of our regular operating hours you should, if necessary, go to the emergency department of your closest hospital. If you are on or nearby campus St. Michael's Hospital is located at 30 Bond Street (the emergency department is at the intersection of Victoria Street and Shuter Streets). The phone number for St. Michael's Hospital emergency department is: 416-864-5094.

Alternatively, you may wish to call one of the following local crisis lines:

Distress Centres of Toronto

Immediate emotional support, crisis intervention, and suicide prevention over the phone. Open 24 hours, 7 days a week. Tel: 416-408-4357 (408-HELP)

Gerstein Centre Crisis Line

Crisis intervention including phone line, mobile unit, ten-bed stay crisis House, and hospital referral. Staff provides supportive counselling for immediate crisis issues, and referrals to other services for ongoing, non-crisis issues. Serves people in the City of Toronto. Tel: 416-929-5200

Kids Help Phone, external link          

For those 20 years old and under, Kids Help Phone provides emotional support for a wide range of social and emotional concerns.  Tel: 1-800-668-6868

Good2Talk, external link A free confidential and anonymous service, Good2Talk offers post-secondary students 24/7 professional counselling, mental health information and connection to local resources. Tel: 1-866-925-5454

St. Michael’s Hospital Psychiatric Emergency Services - Mobile Crisis Intervention Team (MCIT)

Mobile crisis intervention team responds to 911 emergency and police dispatch calls involving emotionally disturbed individuals, from 1 pm to 11 pm seven days a week. Call 911 to request the crisis team’s services. Tel: 911 (Emergencies), 416-808-2222 (Non-emergencies)

The Integrated Community Mental Health Crisis Response Program

A 24-hour crisis line, seven day/week mobile crisis service for Etobicoke and North York, provides links to emergency/respite housing. Support available in the consumer?s home or at a meeting place of their choice. Telephone access and support given to family members, significant others, and caregivers. Tel: 416-498-0043

Toronto Rape Crisis Centre /Multicultural Women Against Rape

Crisis intervention, counselling and referral for survivors of rape/sexual assault. Tel: 416-597-8808 (Crisis Line), 416-597-1171 (Admin Line)

Assaulted Women's Helpline

Confidential telephone service providing crisis counselling, emotional support, safety planning, and information and referrals for emergency shelters, counselling legal services and other community services. Tel: 416-863-0511 (Crisis Line), 1-866-863-0511 (Crisis Line - OUTSIDE GTA), 416-364-4144 (Admin Line)

Children’s Aid Society of Toronto

Provides assessments, crisis intervention, counselling and services to prevent child abuse and neglect. Tel: 416-924-4646

Lesbian, Gay, Bi Trans Youth Line

Peer support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, two-spirited & questioning youth, 26 & under. Tel: 416-962-9688

The Ryerson Safe House provides free and confidential emotional support and assistance with respect to security, academic, financial and short-term housing concerns to Ryerson students who:

  • are at immediate risk of physical, sexual or emotional abuse;
  • are fleeing unsafe or intolerable living conditions; or
  • have been made suddenly homeless as a result of compelling or extreme circumstance.


PDF fileDownload the Ryerson Safe House Brochure

How a student can access the Ryerson Safe House

The first step is to speak with a counsellor in the Centre for Student Development and Counselling (JOR-07C, 416-979-5195). Once it is determined that the Safe House would be an appropriate resource, your counsellor will provide on-going assistance in dealing with the immediate crisis and in planning for the longer-term.

Aboriginal Student Services

416-979-5000 ext. 7699

A culturally supportive environment where all First Nations, Aboriginal, Inuit, Metis, status and non-status students can balance academic learning with traditional teachings.


 Security and Emergency Services


Crime prevention, personal safety and physical security awareness/education provided. Twenty-four hour emergency response, including crisis intervention/emergency management and referral.


Human Rights Services


Support for the Ryerson community, promoting a study, work, and living environment free of discrimination and harassment based on prohibited grounds (e.g. race, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, religion etc.).


Ryerson Medical Centre


Open year-round to treat illnesses or accidents not requiring hospitalization. If necessary, referrals to local hospitals or specialists can be arranged. Payment through OHIP or a similar out-of-province insurance plan is required.


Ombudsperson Office

416-979-5000 ext. 557450

A confidential information, advice and assistance resource for those who wish to address what they believe to be unfair treatment at the University.


Centre for Women and Trans People

416-979-5255 ext. 2350, external link, opens in new window

A safe and inclusive place for all self-identified women on campus. Provides educational pamphlets, referrals and resources on issues that include racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, eating disorders, housing, sexual assault, pro-choice resources, violent relationships, support programs, women’s health and many more. Men are welcome to use the resources, but need to be let in.


Ryerson Students’ Union Legal Advice and Referral Services


Legal advice related to family and criminal law, debt, landlord and tenant conflicts, corporate law, real estate, intellectual property, legal procedures and documents, dealings with lawyers, immigration, and difficulties with government agencies.


Office of Sexual Violence Support and Education

416-979-5000 ext. 3596

The Office of Sexual Violence Support and Education works from the premise that consent comes first. We believe that survivors should guide the process and we are here to provide options. We provide referrals to counselling and medical services, academic and workplace accommodations, self-care resources, advocacy and navigating resources. We can also help you in making an informed decision about next steps should you decide to report to university authorities or the police.