Residence is closed: 12:00 noon December 19, 2020 – 12:00 noon January 10, 2021
Students must vacate: 24 hours after their last exam or at 12 noon on December 19, 2020, whichever comes first
We ask that students leave residence in a timely fashion after their exams for several reasons. By having only students who still need to write exams in residence, there is less noise and fewer distractions for studying.
Housing & Residence Life staff will also conduct room inspections of the buildings during the break to inspect fire safety systems and conduct routine maintenance.
Year long quiet hours:
- Friday - Saturday 1am-10am
- Sunday - Thursday 11pm-8am
Exam periods : 24 hours a day*
- 1st Semester exam quiet hours start: 1:00am December 5, 2020
- 2nd Semester exam quiet hours start:1:00pm April 17, 2021
- 8pm - 9pm nightly there will be no quiet hours to relax and be able to make moderate noise.
During quiet hours, we ask that you respect your neighbours by ensuring that you aren’t disrupting their study time. Speakers, TV's, etc. should be kept at a low volume (or used with headphones) and room doors should be kept closed. Noise that can be heard outside of a room or lounge is not permitted. Treat others as you would like to be treated the night before a big exam!
*24 hour quiet hours are relaxed daily between 8 pm - 9 pm to allow for moderate levels of noise.
Due to COVID-19 measures, we are not allowing any guests at this time.
- Turn off ALL lights.
- In the ILC - The individual heater in your room should remain on and set at the lowest setting.
- In Pitman Hall - The individual heater in your room should be turned off (the heating in the building will remain on).
- Close all windows
To Help Yourself
- Take all your valuables with you
- Move belongings away from any heating systems
- All rooms will be entered over the break for fire safety systems and maintenance inspections
- UNPLUG all electrical appliances –
- including your alarm clock and computer. A $25 maintenance fee will be charged, should staff be required to enter your room to unplug any appliances.
- Clean out your fridge –
- but remember to leave it plugged in so food left behind does not spoil.
- Remove all of your items from the common lounges and fridges.
- All items left over in the common floor lounges and fridges will be removed and disposed of.
- Dispose of all garbage to prevent odour and bugs.
- Clean up any food to prevent odour and bugs.
- Mail will not be delivered during the break and instead will be held by Canada Post until residence opens again in January.
Regular access to the residences is officially closed on Saturday December 19, 2020 at 12 noon and will re-open at 12 noon on Sunday January 10, 2021. During this period you will not be able to access any residence building because there will be no Housing & Residence Life staff on the premises. Please ensure to take any items of value such as money, electronics, etc. with you that you anticipate needing over the mid-year break.
Monday December 21 & Tuesday December 22 between the hours of 10 am - 1 pm
You can access the residence buildings during the above time period only, by sending a request 24 hours in advance by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (416) 979-5284. There will be no other time during the mid-year break to access residence.
If you are unable to return home after your exam, or do not have alternative accommodations during the mid-year break period, you can use this google doclist of temporary accommodations near Ryerson, external link.
We are happy to provide you with a list of options, but you are responsible for organizing and paying for alternate accommodation.