You are now in the main content area

Tuition Waiver

Tuition Waiver is the exemption of the tuition portion of fees for eligible employees and their spouse and/or dependents for approved Ryerson University courses and/or programs of study, subject to applicable policy limitations. It does not include fees such as ancillary fees, late fees, default fees, books, course materials and equipment.

Please see the tuition waiver policy for full details. Note: Where the information on this site differs, policy or collective agreement provisions prevail. 


Senior administration employees are eligible to take two courses per academic term. Employees are expected to take such courses outside their normal work hours. 

Employees wishing to take more than two courses must obtain approval from their manager. Most employees take courses one at a time in order to maintain good academic standing and balance their full time job requirements.

A spouse and/or dependent of an FTCE employee is eligible for the tuition waiver once the employee successfully completes the probationary period.

All regular offerings published in the full time and continuing education calendar, where Ryerson collects tuition fees, are eligible courses for tuition waiver.

The university will waive for the employee, his/her spouse and/or dependent a maximum equivalent dollar value that reflects the current annual domestic undergraduate tuition fee in non-cost, recovery programs, per year, per eligible person, as determined by the university.

It does not include fees such as ancillary fees, late fees, default fees, books, course materials and equipment.

All academic policies, guidelines and rules apply to all members. This means the employee is responsible for any late fees or penalties.

Waivers must be applied for prior to course start dates. Application for waivers submitted after course completion will not be approved.

NOTE: Before you begin, you’ll need the student's Ryerson student number and SIN number (if completing for your spouse or dependent).

  • Full-time undergraduate and graduate degree programs students will receive a student number with their Offer of Admission letter.
  • Continuing education students should follow the instructions for new students located on the Chang School website.


  1. Log into and click on the eHR tab. Navigate to Self Service; Benefits; Tuition Waiver and complete the online application for your dependent and/or yourself.
    To learn more about how to access eWaiver, you can complete the eWaiver self service tutorial. You’ll need to log into this tutorial with your my.ryerson ID.
  2. If submitting for a dependent, you have the option of providing an email address for them. This will allow HR to communicate the application status directly to them, as well as to you, the employee.
  3. Use the Search function to find program requirements and current course offerings.
  4. You will be notified by email when your request is approved. Once approved, the student may register in courses.

Once your waiver has been approved, please enrol yourself in the courses online using the RAMMS system and pay the full course fee with your credit card. Full payment is required when enrolling online or the course(s) will be dropped.

Within two weeks of enrolling, your tuition waiver will be applied and a refund issued for the waived tuition fees. A refund cheque will be mailed to the address on file on your student account. To avoid delays, confirm on RAMSS that your mailing address is up-to-date.

Alternatively, you can enrol into your course(s) by forwarding a copy of this tuition waiver email to, and attaching a PDF filecompleted Chang School Mail-in Enrolment Form. Do not complete the Credit Card Authorization section, as this cannot be accepted via email. Allow three business days for processing.  Once your enrolment is complete, confirm your outstanding fee balance on RAMSS and pay your fees through online banking.

If this waiver is for Undergraduate or Graduate Studies:

The same course enrolment and fee payment procedures are followed as students without waivers. Tuition deposits must be paid online by the deposit deadline stated on the offer of admission, if applicable. All remaining fees must be paid online by the applicable deadlines. Course enrolments (adds, swaps and drops) are done online through RAMSS during applicable course enrolment periods.

You must always complete the application for a tuition waiver prior to registering for the course. Please refer to the university and Chang School enrollment schedules.

A tuition waiver application needs to be completed by the employee each semester before registering for further courses.

No. All eligible candidates are expected to follow the policy and process for tuition waiver. Candidates who do not follow the process will be responsible for paying default fees. For example, an employee who registers for a course first then applies for tuition waiver after the course start-date will be responsible for interest fees or late fees applied.

No. Waiver applications submitted after completing a course may not be approved. In such cases the employee will be responsible for the full tuition fee.

The employee, spouse or dependent is required to provide proof of successful completion of any course. This is done electronically; you sign authorization for release of grades at the time of application. When an employee, spouse or dependent fails to complete a course in which they are enrolled in two successive occasions, the tuition waiver benefits will be suspended.

Employees of the university who are taking courses at Ryerson may have their tuition treated as development. If the course is considered to be mainly for the benefit of the employer, it is employment-related and Ryerson assumes the cost. In these circumstances, neither a T4 nor a T4A is issued and the employee does not claim any related tax credits.

If the course is considered to be for personal interest and not related to the business, the tuition waiver is considered a taxable benefit and will appear on the employee's T4.

Tuition that is waived for an employee's spouse or dependents is reported on a T4A in the name of the student (ie: the spouse or dependent) by Financial Services and the student must claim it on their income tax.

  • If you do not meet eligibility requirements or you have exceeded the limit of courses per term
  • If the courses are not eligible
  • If a waiver is submitted for a spouse and/or dependents prior to the employee successfully completing their probationary period


Contact HR Client Services at or 416-979-5075.