COVID-19 and Childhood Disability
COVID-19 and Childhood Disability
Globally, no one has been untouched by the COVID-19 pandemic and resulting closures of services, businesses and opportunities for social interaction. However, impacts of COVID-19 infection and subsequent closures are not equally distributed. This page presents research and reports related to disability specific COVID-19 effects and experiences from the IECSS project and from around the globe.
Research from IECSS Project
- Janus, M., Pottruff, M., Reid-Westoby, C. (2020). PDF fileHidden future front line: Educators' perspective on the impact of COVID-19 pandemic on kindergarten children (HiFLEC) study: Descriptive report., external link Offord Centre for Child Studies, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON.
- Lawrence, B., Underwood, K., & Douglas, P. (2020). PDF fileIECSS policy brief no. 9: Reconciling interests of children and economies during the COVID-19 pandemic: Learning from families in Brandon, Manitoba. Inclusive Early Childhood Service System project. - PDF fileText version
- Parekh, G., & Underwood, K. (2020, May 14). Coronavirus crisis shows ableism shapes Canada's long-term care for people with disabilities, external link. The Conversation.
- Parekh, G., & Underwood, K. (2021). Learning in a pandemic: The time of coronavirus and the early years. Retrieved at: https://www.famly.co/blog/coronavirus-accessibility-early-education, external link.
- Underwood, K., & Parekh, G. (2020, June 24). Child care after the coronavirus pandemic should be more inclusive of children with disabilities, external link. The Conversation.
- Underwood, K., van Rhijn, T., Balter, A., Feltham, L., Lawrence, B., Parekh, G. & Douglas, P. (forthcoming). Pandemic effects: Ableism, exclusion and procedural bias.
Theory & Commentary
- Brandenburg, J. E., Holman, L. K., Apkon, S.D., Houtrow, A.J., Rinaldi, R., & Sholas, M. G. (2020). School reopening during COVID-19 pandemic: Considering students with disabilities. Journal of Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine: An Interdisciplinary Approach, 13, 425-431. https://doi.org/10.3233/PRM-200789, external link
- Espinosa, F., Metko, A., Raimondi, M., Impenna, M., & Scognamiglio, E. (2020). A model of support for families of children with autism living in the COVID-19 lockdown: Lessons from Italy. Behavioural Analysis in Practice, 13, 550-558. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40617-020-00438-7, external link
- Ineese-Nash, N. (2020). Finding our power together: Working with Indigenous youth and children during COVID-19, Child & Youth Services, 41:3, 274-276. https://doi.org/10.1080/0145935X.2020.1835161, external link
- Lund, E. M., & Gabrielli, J. (2021). The role of pediatric psychologists in mitigating disability-specific barriers among youth during the COVID-19 pandemic. Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology, 9(1), 12–23. https://doi.org/10.1037/cpp0000387, external link
- Patel, K. (2020). Mental health implications of COVID-19 on children with disabilities. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 54, 102273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajp.2020.102273, external link
- Provenzi, L., Grumi, S., & Borgatti, R. (2020). Alone with the kids: Tele-medicine for children with special healthcare needs during COVID-19 emergency. Frontiers in Psychology, 11, 2193. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2020.02193, external link
- Rosenbaum, P. L., Silva, M., & Camden, C. (2020). Let’s not go back to ‘normal’! lessons from COVID-19 for professionals working in childhood disability. Disability and rehabilitation, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1080/09638288.2020.1862925, external link
- Schiariti, V. (2020). The human rights of children with disabilities during health emergencies: the challenge of COVID-19. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 62(6), 661. https://doi.org/10.1111/dmcn.14526, external link
- Cacioppo, M., Bouvier, S., Bailly, R., Houx, L., Lempereur, M., Mensah-Gourmel, J., ... & ECHO Group. (2021). Emerging health challenges for children with physical disabilities and their parents during the COVID-19 pandemic: The ECHO French survey. Annals of physical and rehabilitation medicine, 64(3), 101429. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rehab.2020.08.001, external link
- Cahapay, M.B. (2020): How Filipino parents home educate their children with autism during COVID-19 period. International Journal of Developmental Disabilities, 1-4. https://doi.org/10.1080/20473869.2020.1780554, external link
- Couper-Kenney, F., & Riddell, S. (2021). The impact of COVID-19 on children with additional support needs and disabilities in Scotland. European Journal of Special Needs Education, 36(1), 20-34.https://doi.org/10.1080/08856257.2021.1872844, external link
- Dhiman, S., Sahu, P.K., Reed, W.R., Ganesh, G.S., , Goyal, R.K., & Jain, S. (2020). Impact of COVID-19 outbreak on mental health and perceived strain among caregivers tending children with special needs. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 107, 103790. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2020.103790, external link
- Embregts, P. J. C. M., Heerkens, L., Frielink, N., Giesbers, S., Vromans, L., & Jahoda, A. (2021). Experiences of mothers caring for a child with an intellectual disability during the COVID‐19 pandemic in the Netherlands. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research. https://doi.org/10.1111/jir.12859, external link
- Jeste, S., Hyde, C., Distefano, C., Halladay, A., Ray, S., Porath, M., Wilson, R. B., & Thurm, A. (2020). Changes in access to educational and healthcare services for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities during COVID-19 restrictions. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 64(2), 825-833. https://doi.org/10.1111/jir.12776, external link
- Neece, C., McIntyre, L.L., Renning, R. (2020). Examining the impact of COVID-19 in ethnically diverse families with young children with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 64(10), 739-749. https://doi.org/10.1111/jir.12769, external link
- Willner, P., Rose, J., Kroese, B.S., Murphy, G.H., Langdon, P.E., Clifford, C., Hutchings, H., Watkins, A., Hiles, S., & Cooper, V. (2020). Effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the mental health of carers of people with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Applied Research Intellectual Disabilities, 33, 1523–1533. https://doi.org/10.1111/jar.12811, external link
- Action Aid, Education International, and Light for the Word (2020). The Bedrock of Inclusion: Why Investing in theEducation Workforce is Critical to the Delivery of SDG4. Lessons from five African countries. https://actionaid.org/publications/2020/bedrock-inclusion, external link
- Brennan, C. S. (2020). COVID-19 Disability Rights Monitor 2020. PDF filehttps://covid-drm.org/assets/documents/Disability-Rights-During-the-Pandemic-report-web.pdf, external link
- Childcare Resource and Research Unit. (2020a). Re-opening child care centres during COVID-19 provincial/territorial guidelines for minimizing risk: Staff: child ratios, groupings and group sizes, physical space and social distancing. PDF filehttps://childcarecanada.org/sites/default/files/Provincial-Territorial-Re-opening%20guidelines%20for%20child%20care%20centres%20during%20COVID_Nov%2018_0.pdf
- Childcare Resource and Research Unit. (2020b). Reopening plans for schools for grades K-6 by province/territory. PDF filehttps://childcarecanada.org/sites/default/files/School_Reopening_Plans_Canadian_PTs_Nov%2018_0.pdf
- Innovation to Inclusion (i2i). (20020). Disability and COVID-19 Influencer Pack.PDF filehttps://www.leonardcheshire.org/sites/default/files/2020-10/i2i-disability-covid-19-influencer-pack-accessible.pdf, external link
- Lee, V., Albaum, C., Tablon, P., Ahmad, F., Gorter, J.W., Khanlou, N., McMorris, C., Lai, J., Harrison, C., Hedley, T., Johnston, P., Putterman, C., Spoelstra, M., & Weiss, J. (2020). Impact of COVID-19 on the mental health and wellbeing of caregivers and families of autistic people: A rapid synthesis review. Report prepared for the Canadian Institutes of Health Research. PDF filehttps://irsc-cihr.gc.ca/e/documents/WEISS-Initial-Knowledge-Synthesis-Report_2020-06-22.pdf, external link
- Nowicki, J. M. (2020). Distance Learning: Challenges Providing Services to K-12 English Learners and Students with Disabilities during COVID-19. Report to Congressional Committees. GAO-21-43. US Government Accountability Office. https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-21-43, external link
- Rohwerder, B., Thompson, S., Shaw, J., Wickenden, M., Kayastha, S., Sigdel, A., & Bosri, R. (2021). ‘Because of COVID, everything is a mess’ How have people with disabilities experienced the pandemic in Nepal and Bangladesh? Brighton: Institute of Development Studies, DOI:10.19088/IF.2021.001, external link
- Sisti, D., Stramondo, J., & Shaul Bar Nissim, H. (2020). Fair Resource Allocation During the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case for People with Disabilities and Equality of Consideration. Ruderman Foundation. https://issuu.com/amahoney-rudermanfoundation/docs/fair_allocation_white_paper__1_, external link
- The National Institute for Early Education Research. (2020). The state of preschool 2020. PDF filehttps://nieer.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/YB2020_Full_Report.pdf, external link
- UNESCO. (2020). Policy brief: A disability-inclusive response to COVID-19. United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization. PDF filehttps://www.un.org/development/desa/disabilities/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2020/05/sg_policy_brief_on_persons_with_disabilities_final.pdf, external link
- UNICEF. (2020). Children with disabilities: Ensuring their inclusion in COVID-19 response strategies and evidence generation. https://data.unicef.org/resources/children-with-disabilities-ensuring-inclusion-in-covid-19-response/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=child-disability-covid19-response&utm_content=personalized, external link
- Warner-Richter, M., & Lloyd, C.M. (2020). Considerations for building post-COVID early care and education systems that serve children with disabilities. PDF filehttps://www.childtrends.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/ECEDisabilitiesCovid19_ChildTrends_August2020.pdf, external link
- Arim, R., Findlay, L., & Kohen, D. (2020). The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on Canadian families of children with disabilities. https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/45-28-0001/2020001/article/00066-eng.htm, external link
- Preston, J. (May 5, 2020). COVID-19 and disability in Canada: What urgent and emergent issues to disabled Canadians face during the COVID-19 pandemic in the near and future term? House of Commons/Chambre des Commune, Canada. http://www.jeffpreston.ca/2020/05/05/opening-remarks-to-huma-committee/?fbclid=IwAR0hHeFJxTOi_GvaFGfRXzKs3BgzT5I56moMNAqTLLgxttjHcSF4oUl7tBQ, external link
- Statistics Canada. (2020). Impacts of COVID-19 on persons with disabilities. PDF filehttps://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/200827/dq200827c-eng.pdf, external link
- Baker, M. (2020, November 23). Students with disabilities should have the option of in-person learning during COVID-19 school closures. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/students-with-disabilities-should-have-the-option-of-in-person-learning-during-covid-19-school-closures-136683, external link
- (2021, June 2) Health of Canadians with disabilites suffering during the pandemic. UBC Okanagan News. https://news.ok.ubc.ca/2021/06/02/health-of-canadians-with-disabilities-suffering-during-the-pandemic/, external link
- (2021, July 15) Italy: Students with disabilities included in Covid-19 education plans. Human Rights Watch. https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/06/15/italy-students-disabilities-included-covid-19-education-plans
- Parekh, G., & Underwood, K. (2021, June 9). How we improve accessibility in the early years. Famly.co. https://www.famly.co/blog/coronavirus-accessibility-early-education?utm_source=agorapulse, external link
- Wayman, S. (2021, June 22). How the digital world has given some people voices – and taken others’ away. The Irish Times. https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/parenting/how-the-digital-world-has-given-some-people-voices-and-taken-others-away-1.4594195, external link