You are now in the main content area

Frequently Asked Questions

To be eligible for the co-op program, you must be a full-time degree student. 

To qualify for co-op you must have completed ALL 10 first year courses in the BTM program with a minimum CGPA of 2.80 .

The primary intake for co-op occurs in the summer following your first year.

Yes, you will have an opportunity to take the course in the summer or improve your GPA and be re considered for admission. You would apply during the primary intake period and indicate that you will be taking summer courses.  Your application will be processed at the completion of those courses

Yes, there are two other intake periods. One at the end of third semester (Fall- apply by February 1) the other at the end of 4th semester (Winter – apply by May 1)

Transfer credits will not necessarily affect your eligibility.  They can be used to offset course requirements for a given semester. Transfer credits for first year courses will be used to determine admission CGPA.

No. ALL first-year courses must be completed.


No, you must submit an application which is then evaluated.  All applicants are notified of their status at the end of the application process. 

No; admission to co-op is based on the established criteria. The decision is final and is not appealable. 

Students are encouraged to use any connections they may have in securing employment; however, the Business Career Hub will identify opportunities for which you must successfully compete. Jobs are listed on ORBIS, the official coop platform.  If job search is done outside of this portal, you must keep record of job search activities to show diligence.

Students are expected to complete 5 work terms to graduate with the coop designation, however, at the discretion of the school, students may be permitted to graduate with less than the required max. Students cannot choose to miss a work term. Exemptions are at the discretion of the school and are granted on a case by case basis.

Eligibility to graduate with the coop designation will be determined at the end of all work terms.  If more than one work term was missed you will not graduate with the coop designation. 

You are permitted to take up to two courses through the Chang School. You must have permission from the school and your coop employer.

If your CGPA falls below 2.80, you will be given one academic semester grace period to bring your CGPA back to the acceptable level. If this does not happen at the end of the grace period, you will be transferred to the regular program to complete the degree.

You can voluntarily opt out of the co-op program at anytime.  A portion of the co-op fee may be charged depending on when you choose to opt-out.

To opt out, you must complete an opt out form which will be provided by the co-op administrator, and complete a PDF filePlan Change Request Form, opens in new window.

Once you have been hired for a position, you are obligated to complete the employment, and submit a work term report before opting out.

If you do not submit a report, you will receive a grade of “FLD” for the Work Term which will be counted as a failed course to determine academic standing and for graduation.

Yes, co-op students may participate in the exchange program. However you are advised to carefully plan your course load to ensure that your future co-op commitments and pre-requisite requirements will not be jeopardised.

No, Direct Entry students are not eligible, as they have already completed 2 years of the 4-year degree program.

While it is theoretically possible, realistically, No. Co-op is a 5 year commitment.

No, your CGPA must be at or above 2.80 to be accepted into co-op.

Yes. Admission is based on a combination of factors: CGPA, a personal statement and  a resume.

Yes, see question #5

For more information about co-op, please email: