Forms & Appeals
Academic Consideration Requests
We are committed to promoting academic success and to ensuring that your academic records ultimately reflect your academic abilities and accomplishments.
Student Health Certificates
Please complete the following steps for academic consideration requests involving student health.
- Have your physician complete the PDF fileStudent Health Certificate
- Complete the PDF fileAcademic Consideration Submission Form
- Submit your request through the Senate's Office online submission portal (HEALTH GROUNDS ONLY). Drop off the originaldocuments in person at TRS 2-004, so that your online submission can be verified and your instructors notified. If the office is closed, you may place completed documents in the dropbox, located just beside TRS 1-002.
Other requests for Academic Consideration which are not related to health or religious observation must be submitted in writing together with the PDF fileAcademic Consideration Submission Form to the student’s program office. The letter must clearly state the reasons for the request and describe the events or circumstances that seriously impair the student’s ability to meet their academic obligations, and that were beyond the student’s control. When possible, supporting documentation must be attached to the letter. The office will notify the instructor when they have received the request.
At the end of a semester you may decide to file an Academic Appeal of a final course grade or academic standing if you believe you were not given academic consideration during the term or something was handled incorrectly at the end of the term. The formal appeal process is set out in PDF fileSenate Policy 134 for undergraduate students and PDF fileSenate Policy 152 for graduate students. You must meet the deadlines for filing an appeal, as outlined in the Ryerson Course Calendars.
For detailed instructions and explanations visit Standings and Grade Appeals.
For advice on your appeal, please contact the following:
- Full-time undergraduate and graduate program students: Student Issues and Advocacy Coordinator at the Ryerson Students’ Union (416-979-5255 ext. 2322)
- Part-time undergraduate program and Chang School students: Student Rights Coordinator at the Continuing Education Student Association of Ryerson, external link (416-979-5000 ext. 7716).
- All students may contact The Centre for Student Development and Counselling (416-979-5195) or the Ombudsperson (416-979-5000 ext.7450)