|Storytelling Workshop, Poynter Institute, 2016 and 2018|
|Senior Executive Performance, Team & Change Leadership Banff Program, 2015|
|Project Management, Lemmex Training & Consulting, 2008|
|Masters of Arts (History) Carleton University, 2005|
|Bachelor of Journalism & History Carleton University, Graduated with High Honours, 1998|
Karyn, aka Pabàmàdiz, is best known for her work as a Parliament Hill reporter and as the Executive Director of News and Current Affairs at APTN (Aboriginal Peoples Television Network), where she ran the news department for seven years. She joined Ryerson's faculty in the Spring of 2020 while completing a Nieman Fellowship at Harvard University. Karyn has worked in both daily news and on long-form investigations at a variety of outlets including ichannel, VisionTV, CBC and CTV.
Karyn is currently the president of the Canadian Association of Journalists, and she is a board member of Canadian Journalists for Free Expression. She is a Journalists for Human Rights Ambassador and worked as an expert trainer for the program in South Sudan in 2018.
Her journalism has been recognized by the Canadian Association of Journalists, the Canadian Screen Awards, the Native American Journalists Association and the Public Policy Forum. She holds degrees in Journalism and History.
Karyn is a citizen of the Pikwàkanagàn First Nation in Ontario, and is of mixed Algonquin and Italian descent. When she is not engaged in acts of journalism, you'll find her paddling a canoe, shooting photos and eating frybread.
- Martin Wise Goodman Canadian Nieman Fellowship (2020)
- Elias Boudinot Free Press Award (NAJA) (2019)
- Hyman Solomon Award for Public Policy Journalism (2019)
- Gordon Sinclair Award for Broadcast Journalism (2017)
- CAJ Charles Bury Award (2016)
- 3 Native American Journalism Awards (2003, 2005, 2006)
- Press freedom
- Reporting on human rights
- Reporting on federal politics
- Representation of marginalized communities in media
- Investigative journalism
- President, Canadian Journalism Association
- Board Member; Canadian Journalists for Free Expression
- Board Member ELMNT FM
- Journalists for Human Rights Ambassador