Skip to main content
Faculty of Community Services

Nursing alumni associations

Ryerson Nursing Alumni Association (RNAA)

The Ryerson Nursing Alumni Association (RNAA) is a branch of the larger Ryerson University Alumni Association (RUAA).  

The RNAA is made up of undergraduate and graduate nursing alumni from the Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing, crossing a span of over fifty years of graduates.

The RNAA works closely with other university groups fostering the development of the nursing alumni community, celebrating the achievements of alumni at Ryerson University to support and encourage continuous learning and professional development.

Executive members:

  • Vikky Leung, RN (Paediatric Medicine), BSc, BScN, MN student
  • Sarabeth Silver, RN (Orthopedic/Sarcoma), BScN, MN student
  • R.J. Edralin, RN, BScN
  • Angel Wang, RN (Acute Care & Spinal Cord Rehabilitation), BScN
  • Susan Chan, RN (Rehab/Restorative Care), BScN
  • Hania Siddiqui, RN, BScN
  • Jonathan Garcia, RN, BScN
  • Betty Wang, BScN student
  • Mary Wei, RN (Emergency), BScN
  • Eleanor Yip, RN, BScN
  • Julia Piekielko, RN (ICU), BScN
  • Janny Lee, RN (Medicine), BScN, Critical Care & MN student

Contact us:

Email: rnaa@ryerson.ca

Facebook: www.facebook.com/RyeNursingAlum

Instagram: ryenursingalum

The Wellesley Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association
Photo Credit: Dave Upham, Photographer. Photograph courtesy of the Ryerson University Archives

The Alumnae Association was formed in 1915, following the graduation of The Wellesley Hospital’s first class of nurses. Since then, the association has offered friendship, support to the profession and assistance to nursing education.

History of The Wellesley Hospital

The Wellesley Hospital in Toronto was founded by Dr. Herbert A Bruce in 1912 in the former Frederick Nicholls residence at Homewood Place. It was situated on the north side of Wellesley Street East, opposite Homewood Ave.

The original 84 beds expanded to over 600 beds by the 1980s. 

In 1999, hospital at 160 Wellesley St. E. was closed, due to the provincial government’s hospital downsizing and restructuring. 

Wellesley is the family name of the Duke of Wellington. Bruce obtained permission from the duke to use the crest from the family’s coat of arms for the hospital. The lion rampant and flying pennant on the coat of arms with the motto inscribed by Bruce, ‘Jamais sans Esperance’ (Never without Hope), was a brave crest for the new hospital. It also made a very special graduation pin for Wellesley trained nurses.

History of the School of Nursing  

  • The Wellesley’s first class of trainee nurses began their training in September of 1912.
  • The School of Nursing trained 2,164 nurses during the years 1912 to 1972.
  • Three more classes graduated between 1973 and 1975, the transition period from the apprenticeship format of hospital-based nursing schools to full time academic study. 
  • In 1973, the Ontario provincial government transferred responsibility for diploma nursing programs to the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
  • The Fall of 1973 saw The Wellesley’s nursing school become the Wellesley Campus in Ryerson’s School of Nursing, joining the Hospital for Sick Children and Women’s College Hospital nursing schools.

Endowment

In 2006, the alumnae association established an endowment fund that supports an award for Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing graduate students.

In 2011, the assocatiation established an archive endowment fund to support its nursing collection. The collection had been gifted to the School of Nursing at Ryerson in 2005.

More resources

Contact Us

Email: thewellesleyschoolnsgtoronto@gmail.com

In your email, please indicate in the subject line of your message the person you wish to contact, i.e. President / Secretary / Membership.