You are now in the main content area

Nutrition and Food (BASc) FAQs


Submit your complete application and amendments by Ryerson's guaranteed consideration date to receive equal consideration.

Before you apply, find out if Ryerson is still accepting applications.

After you've applied, find out when Ryerson releases admission decisions.

No. The Nutrition and Food program starts in September. We do not offer January admissions.

The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education offers Academic Bridging Courses which can prepare you for post-secondary studies at Ryerson.

For more information, please visit Upgrading resources.

Visit Non-approved students to check out common reasons for non-approval and suggestions for applicants who have been denied admission.

Courses and Transfer Credits

Transfer credits are courses completed at other accredited institutions that are assessed, and when granted, may be used toward Ryerson University degree requirements.

Courses can only be assessed by the Transfer Credit Office once you have been offered admission into the program. 

Wondering what to expect? Use the Undergraduate Calendar, Course Planning Tool (see Planning your courses) and your previous degree transcript to forecast transfer credits. Remember that a maximum of 20 transfer credits can be applied to your degree.

Before you can apply for transfer credits, you must accept your offer of admission and activate your account.

Visit How to apply for more information.

We encourage you to apply for all eligible transfer credits as soon as you accept your offer of admission.

The deadline varies by term. Visit Application deadlines and late fees for more information.

The year you start in will depend on the number of credits that you can transfer to this degree.

In their first year, many transfer students have a reduced course-load and are able to take some second-year courses.

Most core nutrition courses are taught face-to-face, on campus, during the day.

We do offer some courses via distance education and in the evening.

Use the Course Planning Tool (see Planning your courses) to search for the classes you require and visit the Chang School of Continuing Education to check on availability.

As a first-year student, you will be automatically enrolled in core nutrition courses. You will be required to enrol yourself in your elective courses in mid-August. Visit Enrolment for more information.  

After first year, you will be required to enroll yourself in all of your courses. 

Check out our workshops for more information on planning your courses, choosing minors and selecting your course intentions.


Class sizes vary. Seminars and tutorials are relatively small and usually consist of approximately 25 to 30 students. Lectures typically consist of more than 100 students.

Yes. Ryerson offers a number of visits and tours that are available in-person and online. These are great opportunities to learn more about the program, meet some of our faculty and staff, and get answers to all of your questions. Check out Visits and tours for more information.

You may be able to find the answers to some of your questions on our website. If you still need assistance, please contact our academic advisor to arrange an appointment.

Food industry:

  • Food stylist
  • Nutrition consultant
  • Food specialist/economist
  • Freelance writer

Food service management and hospitality:

  • Nursing home administrator
  • Dietary technician
  • Hospitality manager
  • Director of hospitality services

Health promotion:

  • Public health policy and administration
  • Health promoter/educator
  • Consultant
  • Lactation consultant

Health research and food science:

  • Food scientist
  • Lab technician
  • Research and development
  • Process technologist
  • Product development
  • Test kitchen assistant/manager
  • Health researcher

Dietetics/ Registered Dietitian:

Graduating with a BASc in Nutrition and Food is the first step towards becoming a Registered Dietitian, external link. Dietitians provide advice on diet, food and nutrition, working in settings that include:

  • Health care
  • Private practice
  • Community health
  • Public health
  • Corporate education


  • Elementary school teacher
  • High school teacher (Science/Family Studies)
  • Educational consultant


  • Entrepreneurship
  • Advertising and promotions manager
  • Marketing communications/development
  • Market research
  • Product specialist
  • Consumer relations consultant
  • Program coordinator

Government and regulatory affairs:

  • Federal public servant
  • Provincial public servant
  • Food inspector
  • Quality assurance manager/director

Our graduates also find opportunities in manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, community agencies, government, ingredient suppliers, and companies involved in marketing and promoting consumer food products.

Dietitians of Canada, external link (DC) outlines the academic and practical experience needed to pursue this career path.

To be eligible to apply for a post-degree internship or master's practicum, you must take seven courses required by DC. These courses are marked with this symbol † and can be found on Nutrition and Food Table I/II.

You also need to attend the Professional Pathway Workshops offered by the school’s DC Program Director.

RAMSS Support  is the one-stop shop for everything you need to do online, such as viewing your academic, financial and personal information at Ryerson.

Tuition and Fees

As a student in Ryerson’s Nutrition and Food program, you’ll have access to a variety of financial aid and award opportunities.

More information on financial aid can be found at Student Financial Assistance.

Full details on awards and scholarships can be found at:

Yes. Ryerson has a diverse set of on campus job programs available to you. Visit On campus jobs for more information.

The cost of attending university varies by program, whether you live in residence and whether you are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or international student. Check out Fees for more information.