I am an assistant professor in the School of Occupational and Public Health and director of the Planetary Health Research Lab. I also hold an adjunct assistant professor appointment at Western University’s Schulich School of Medicine Dentistry. Before joining Ryerson University in July, 2019, I was a lecturer in the Department of Geography at Western University and an environmental health manager with the Middlesex-London Health Unit. Throughout my 15 year public health career, I worked as an environmental health manager, child and family health manager, vector-borne disease program coordinator and public health inspector.
I obtained bachelor’s degrees in chemical engineering from Istanbul Technical University and public health and safety from Ryerson University. I hold master’s degrees in food safety and quality assurance from the University of Guelph and business administration from Wilfrid Laurier University. I completed my doctoral studies in geography at Western University. I was a Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors (CIPHI) Board of Certification examiner for ten years and have been the CIPHI National Exam Panel member between 2012-2019. I have been appointed as the CIPHI Ontario Board of Certification Representative between May 2018 and July 2019.
- Kloepfer, J., Sekercioglu, F. Thind, A. (2018). Local Climate Change Adaptation: Developing a Communication Strategy for a Rural Population. Western Public Health Casebook 2018. London, ON: Public Health Casebook Publishing.
- Sekercioglu, M.F., White, J., Shrubsole, D., & Baxter, J. (2018). Towards a Sustainable Small Non-Community Drinking Water System in Ontario: Owners’ Risk Awareness and Perceptions to Water Safety, Journal of Sustainable Development, 11(3), 71-84.
- Sekercioglu, M.F., White, J., Shrubsole, D., & Baxter, J. (2018). Relationship between operational characteristics of small non-community drinking water systems and adverse water quality incidents in Southern Ontario, Canada. Applied Ecology and Environmental Research, 16(1):777-789.
- Sekercioglu, N., Busse, J.W., Sekercioglu, M.F., Agarwal, A., Shaikh, S., Lopez, L.C., Reem A. Mustafa, R.A., Guyatt, G.H., & Thabane, L. (2016). Cinacalcet versus standard treatment for chronic kidney disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Renal Failure, 38(6), 857-875.
- Pellecchia, A., Sekercioglu, F., Terry, A. (2015). Knowledge Dissemination and Private Well Water Testing in Middlesex County, Ontario. in: Speechley, M., & Terry, A.L. [eds] Western Public Health Casebook 2015. London, ON: Public Health Casebook Publishing
- Dr. R. Neil Lowry Grant, Association of Pool and Spa Professionals, 2014
- Environmental Health Foundation of Canada Continuing Education Award, 2013