Skip to main content
Office of the Ombudsperson - Confidential, Impartial and Independent

8. Missed Exams/Classes

1. Missing an exam

If you miss an exam because of a sudden illness or personal/family emergency, it is important to contact your instructor via email/phone immediately (or as soon as reasonably possible) in order to make alternative arrangements. If you are not able to connect with your instructor, email the department and advise the Administrator or Chair or Director of your inability to attend the exam and the reason for being absent. Make a note of who you spoke to and when and keep copies of your emails.

All Undergraduate Students, (except Chang School Students) should use the Academic Consideration Online Request Form.

All other students should use the Academic Consideration Request Form, and follow the instructions on the form.  

If you know in advance that you will not be able to attend an exam due to circumstances beyond your control, you should request an alternative examination time or date from your instructors. If the request is granted, your instructor will determine an alternative time and date for the exam. If you are not able to resolve the issue with your instructor, contact your Chair/Program Director as soon as possible to ask for his or her assistance.

Remember that if you request a make-up exam or test because of medical or compassionate grounds that you will usually be required to present relevant supporting documentation.

Consult the Examinations section of the Student Guide and the Examinations Policy for information on your exam rights and responsibilities.You could also review the Office of the Registrar Examinations website.

2. Missing Classes

General policy information about attendance can be found in the Undergraduate Student Guide and the Undergraduate Calendar. For more specific information:

  • Check your COURSE OUTLINE to determine whether or not attendance is required and/or whether there will be marks assigned for class participation/attendance.
  • Check your Department/School HANDBOOK to see if notification and/or documentation is required for absences.

As a courtesy, if you are going to be missing several classes due to personal or family reasons, you may want to let your instructor know in advance (whenever possible), and discuss what you may be missing.

3. Being assigned an INC

An instructor may give you an INC (incomplete grade) instead of a letter grade if you could not complete all of your course work due to circumstances beyond your control prior to the final deadline for the instructor to submit the grades. In order to be eligible for an INC grade some work must have been submitted and the successful completion of the remaining work will allow you to pass the course. The outstanding work or alternate examination must be completed by a specified date, as agreed with your Instructor, within the 3 months of the submission of the INC grade unless alternative arrangements have been made with the program’s Chair/Director, for the extension of the INC. The INC will be replaced by an official course grade when the work is completed. If the work is not completed by the deadline the INC will become a grade of F. If you want to request an INC grade due to your circumstances you must ask your instructor to receive an INC grade within 3 working days, or as soon as reasonably possible, of the missed final examination or final assignment deadline. Supporting documentation (e.g. Ryerson Medical Certificate) must be provided. The University expects instructors awarding an INC grade to provide the student, within 7 working days, with a written statement of outstanding work to be completed and the date by which it must be completed (or the date of the alternate final examination).

If you receive an INC make sure you receive a written statement outlining what outstanding work you need to complete and the date that it should be completed. Please remember that the latest deadline for finishing course work after an INC is 3 months. However, your instructor may set an earlier deadline for you to hand in the assignment or to complete the make-up exam. If you miss the deadline for completing your work your INC will be changed to an F. However, if you are too ill to meet the deadline for completing the work you should contact your instructor to explain that you will not be able to meet the deadline. In this kind of situation you can ask the Program Director or Chair to extend the deadline if you have sufficient rationale for an exception to be made.

Remember to check the RU SIGNIFICANT DATES for Appeal, Transfer Credit and other Deadlines!

The Fall 2019 Grade and Standings Appeal Deadlines are :

20th January 2020 (4pm) for Undergraduate and Chang School Students

24th January 2020 (4pm) for Graduate Students

The RSU/CESAR Student Appeal Package

 can be found here

The RSU / CESAR Appeal Workshops dates:

January 13, 2020 -12-2pm, Margaret Laurence Room

January 15, 2020-5-7pm, Margaret Laurence Room

The RSU/CESAR Appeal Letter Writing Workshops dates:

January 14, 2020-12-2pm, Margaret Laurence Room

January 16, 2020 -5-7pm, Riel Room




The Ombudsperson's 2017-2018 Annual Report to the Ryerson community is now available!


Print copies of the report are available at our office.

Please provide your FEEDBACK about the Ombuds Office via our Confidential Survey.