How to apply
To be considered for the first round of admission offers, your application must be received by February 14, 2021.
International applicants should note that, due to the structure of our funding, our program is able to take only a very small number of international applicants each year. Also, international students pay roughly double the tuition of Canadian students.
Specific Documents Required
Statement of Interest
- Your research interests and reasons for pursuing Graduate study in philosophy;
- Your current plans regarding the topic of your major research paper or thesis;
- How your previous studies and experience have prepared you for the MA program; and
- Your career objectives and how the MA program relates to them.
Sample of Work
- Please submit a sample of writing (10-15 pages) that represents your very best philosophical work.
Letters of Recommendation
- Two letters of recommendation are required. The two recommendations should be from academic references—former professors or research supervisors—familiar with your experience and abilities.
Minimum Academic Requirements
The normal admission requirements are:
- a four-year honours undergraduate degree in Philosophy (or a degree from an equivalent program, such as Ryerson’s Arts and Contemporary Studies program with an option in Philosophy), and
- a minimum GPA of 3.33/4.33 (B+), or its equivalent, in the final half of the program.
We also encourage applications from students with an honours undergraduate degree in another program who have demonstrated in their coursework a strong aptitude for philosophy. If you are not sure whether your undergraduate experience qualifies, please contact the graduate program director.